Create distortion on image (illustrator)

SHW

Dear designers,

I am kind of new to illustrator and are looking for an easy way to get a 'distorted' image, like the one below.

TV-Distortion.jpg

Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this in Illustrator? One of the images that I will probably be using (depending on the result) is this one:

images.duckduckgo.com.jpeg

Thank you :)

Attachments

• TV-Distortion.jpg
    TV-Distortion.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
Wouldn't you be better off using Photoshop for a raster image?

Perhaps, but I don't have that program and this image will be part of a bigger design that I created in Illustrator :). Thank you for the right search terminology! I did find a video which I think will be useful.

Doing that screen tearing effect will be a challenge in Illustrator, especially with a complex image like the bear (mainly the fur). You could try converting the shape to a vector then using the Warp tool to manually create the ripple effect, but ultimately Illustrator isn't really intended for this type of work.

I think it's a combination of distortion mixed with a Photoshop effect. It would be a bit of nightmare trying to create that effect manually in Illustrator and you probably wouldn't get an as authentic result. A more automated method in Photoshop would be the way to go.

It's not really something you'd do in illustrator, this is something you'd need photoshop for. Search for photoshop vhs glitch, that image up the top is basically replicating a 'dodgy vhs tape' (showing my age here lol) and it should tell you how to do it.

It's not really something you'd do in illustrator, this is something you'd need photoshop for. Search for photoshop vhs glitch, that image up the top is basically replicating a 'dodgy vhs tape' (showing my age here lol) and it should tell you how to do it.

[ADJUST TRACKING]

As has been said, Illustrator isn't really the tool for this job.

I use it all day long and I'd be scratching my head how to create this without a whole lot of very tedious, manual work without knowing if it was even achievable.

Isn't that what helped blu ray win too....
Possibly, though I heard it was helped by the PS3 having a blu ray player built in. Sony learnt a harsh lesson with the Betamax and decided to bundle their format to prevent losing out to HD DVD. Apparently they made a loss on every console sold but it seemed to work.

As has been said, Illustrator isn't really the tool for this job.

I use it all day long and I'd be scratching my head how to create this without a whole lot of very tedious, manual work without knowing if it was even achievable.

Alright you Lovin'-Anykindof-Corners, thank you so much for the advice. Knowing the weaknessess also of Illustrator will help me a lot achieving my designer job. I will look into the options I have for Photoshop or just experiment in Illustrator a bit for other options. If I come across an interesting solution I will let you know. Cheers!

Back