Could one of you web people please translate?

scotty

Ultimate Member
Over the weekend I thought I might upgrade my version of Wordpress on my blog but when I went to it I got this message:

"A file permissions error has occurred. Please check the permissions on the script and the directory it is in and try again."

Could one of you chaps give me an idea of what it means as I don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to this kind of stuff.
My blog is hosted on my own site if that helps:rolleyes:

Cheers

S:)

try going into your ftp client or dreamweaver whatever you use to upload your files, right click (ctrl click) on the relevant files/folders go to info and permissions, tick the read/writes etc or type 777

Depends on which file is being thrown off. Considering the entire site is down, it might be the permissions on your config file.

Yeah more than likely it's the wp-config.php file, as the guys above have said check the file permissions for that file, and get them set to 777 this is the file that contains the DB info, so WP needs access to this to correctly connect to your database.

I finally did get it sorted but only by taking my blog and site down an installing a backup I'd luckily made a a while before it bit the dust.
Before that I did check all the permissions and set them to 777 but to no avail. I'm now guessing it was my config file.

In my ham fisted attempts at fixing it I did manage to stuff up my main site.
Note to self: Learn some more web type stuff.
I did fix them both but the scary thing is I haven't a clue how.

Hooray for happy accidents.

Thanks for the help guys:up:

Glad to hear you've got it resolved Scotty, you managed to get WP upgraded OK in the end?
Thanks, Greg

Back