Corona Ad Campaign

At some point during proceedings I shall have to reveal this to corona, so I just wanted some opinions. I wanted it to be fun but simple. Relate to students (the biggest drinkers by far) and typographical (there's not enough of it around). So i decided to use the Weird Al song 'Nine Coronas' (which is a parody of My Sharona. Opinions?

tumblr_kzwovhr4S81qaur0wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_kzwowcpDMF1qaur0wo1_500.jpg

The typography doesnt flow at all, the different uses of sizes isn't done in a great way. And while students may be (?!) the biggest drinkers, we are also short on money, so advertising that the drink is cheaper is better than advertising the drink in general.
I'm not buying a corona at £3 even if it has an ace poster.

Edit: For example on the non flow, the different gaps between lines just makes it difficult to concentrate
Oh and if you are focusing on the 9 coronas... why not carry across the format of the "after 9 coronas" from poster 1 to poster 2 (or vice versa)

Cheers renniks, It's only rough. Initial. Will be taking on board the advice and using it. I just wanted the poster to be a bit funny, so yeah. :)

you got the rights to use the lyrics from that song in your advert? Pretty sure thats covered in it's copyright etc.

I agree with what has been said so far, and not so sure how Corona would take it, due to their responsibilities to responsible drinking. Not bashing, but this is from their website -

Young people growing up today see a variety of images relating to beer consumption. To positively influence that perception, we at Corona work to model responsible drinking throughout our advertising and actions as a company.

*shrug* just a thought.

Jeg said:
I agree with what has been said so far, and not so sure how Corona would take it, due to their responsibilities to responsible drinking. Not bashing, but this is from their website -

*shrug* just a thought.

Quite so. Hence using comedy songs to highlight the potential dangers of drinking too much in 'studentese'. After all, nobody wants to go to bed with Cindy Crawford and wake up with Susan Boyle.

One thing, this sort of approach is not generally welcomed in alcohol advertising anymore. The same thing happened with cigarette advertising, it went from, "a good healthy smoke" to smart advertising, loads of famous campaigns look them up, and then to being banned completely.

The approach of advertising has to promote responsible drinking, relevant to the health standards of the amount of alcohol the is responsible to consume. And to be totally honest, alcohol is going the same way.

As much as it is a good approach to sell alcohol to students in a funny fashion, I very much doubt it would pass. Look at the current advertising for Stella 4, they are trying to present it as a quality product, yet the reason for its existence is purely is as a tax dodge/to rebrand stella as not being "wife beater".

Comparative product would be the recent San Miguel campaign, 3 guys looking for 3 ships, no real mention of consuming massive amounts of booze.

Just thought I would factor this in as an approach.

I've done work for Carling, Grolch and Worthingtons and this will never fly past the legal dept who have the final say in all advertising for all beer brands. Encouraging excessive drinking and putting a number to it with 9, is a non runner from the off. It wouldn't get past the legal bods and would get immediate complaints to the ASA.
Alcohol ad content are legislated. I suggest you get a hold of the ASA guidelines relating to Alcohol, as that is the first thing you should gen up on before you start anything as it dictates what and what you cant do.

As a concept, i love typography. I'm not convinced though that the ryhmming of Corona and Sharona holds water. So I ask......'What's the idea? what is the single minded proposition?

To me, as it stands it's - 'Get pissed on Corona and even a Labrador looks nice!" mmmmmmmm.....

Like the feel and the space, the intent of use of typography, but not the strategy or the idea, or the legality of it.

Remember all alchohol adv has the caveat......... Corona encourages responsible drinking ( unlike your strategy!)

Reboot.

Some good points there Berry, great information from a point of view of a guy who's been there and done work for such companies

Ooh my little pretty one, pretty one.
When you gonna give me some time, Sharona?
Ooh you make my motor run, my motor run.
Gun it comin' off the line Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. Always get it up for the touch
of the younger kind. My my my i yi woo. M M M My Sharona...

Come a little closer huh, ah will ya huh.
Close enough to look in my eyes, Sharona.
Keeping it a mystery gets to me
Running down the length of my thighs, Sharona
Never gonna stop, give it up. Such a dirty mind.
Always get it up for the touch

When you gonna give it to me, give it to me.
It is just a matter of time Sharona
Is it just destiny, destiny?
Or is it just a game in my mind, Sharona?
Never gonna stop, give it up.
Such a dirty mind. Always get it up for the touch

however the lyrics to my sherona are rather interesting.

quick maths, units in a bottle of corona 1.5, units for a man per week 21/woman 14.

So its 2 max sadly.

I don't think Corona would encourage it's marketing to portray the brand in an irresponsible light, as Berry said it sends out completely the wrong message from a brand standpoint.

I'd take a look at current ad campaigns for alcoholic drinks, most of them emphasise the social aspect of having a good time (while not equating that to drinking too much) while also trying to attach a certain image/class/style to their product, which of course it dependant on the product's target market.

Carlsberg for example, often focus on the "quality" of their beer by showing the viewer how excellent anything else would be if it were made by Carlsberg.

Back