Copy alignment principles

bebuckley

Hi Everyone,

Im unsure if my question has a solid answer but after doing a bit of searching around i havent been able to find a definitive answer.

Screen Shot 2019-01-15 at 09.25.30.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-15 at 09.34.19.png

Myself and my colleague have a different ideas about the alignment of the copy of the left hand side. The paragraph at the bottom is fine. im sure we all know that long copy always needs to be aligned to the left (maybe some times to the right)

my query is the header.

would you align it to the left or centred?

I personally think that because its a header and is under two/three lines would be fine to have in the middle.

Am i wrong? its bugged me for quite some time now and would like any info people can provide.

a Link to a article or book would be most appreciated

cheers guys!

So do i but do you think theres some sort of principal that i can use in the future?

I think it looks better because it creates more of a box instead of having the space between the header and paragraph text

if the header had more copy it wouldnt be an issue because there wouldnt be the space but because it is and i like boxes it looks better in the first one.

Just wish there was some concrete evidence. its quite niche problem so i dont think it would come up that often in conversation

Centred, definitely. It's a heading. No argument. You haven't ranged the logo at the top left, have you?

I think it looks better aligned on the left.

If it were on a single line the centred is ok.

As an aside, I’d be more concerned on how you are going to make that layout work on a phone. More people will be using a phone than a desktop for offers such as this.

I think it looks better aligned on the left.

If it were on a single line the centred is ok.

As an aside, I’d be more concerned on how you are going to make that layout work on a phone. More people will be using a phone than a desktop for offers such as this.
The whole site's responsive. the form will go under the copy etc. thanks for your concern though

In which case, left align everything. Including the logo. With the left margin on the copy aligned with the left border of the form fields.

PS. Another thing I found with form design it to have two blocks - do not put the form inside the main blue block, just have a thin border to the form.

Both are 'technically' correct. From a visual standpoint I prefer left aligned.

I don't really see it as a heading, I see it more as 'information' that needs to be highlighted.

Both are 'technically' correct. From a visual standpoint I prefer left aligned.

I don't really see it as a heading, I see it more as 'information' that needs to be highlighted.
I guess it comes down to personal taste. I was thinking that there mite be some formula to it. golden ratio or something. thanks all

I guess it comes down to personal taste. I was thinking that there mite be some formula to it. golden ratio or something. thanks all
Golden ratio can't really work with block text... why is everyone all of a sudden relating everything to golden ratio.... it's become like a buzzword in design at the moment.

As to formula for text layout, in all honesty unless you're doing formal 'letters' or a novel, text layout rules are pretty loose these days, it's more a case of can you read it in the right order and does it look good.

Golden ratio can't really work with block text... why is everyone all of a sudden relating everything to golden ratio.... it's become like a buzzword in design at the moment.

As to formula for text layout, in all honesty unless you're doing formal 'letters' or a novel, text layout rules are pretty loose these days, it's more a case of can you read it in the right order and does it look good.
lol, i knew that golden ratio was going to bite me in the ass.

I meant to relate a text alignment formula to something like the golden R or the rule of thirds. not to use the golden R for blocks of text. Lucky I do know what its used for and it shouldnt be used with text unless used in a illustrative way. very rare indeed

Here we go again with the golden ratio ... just remember the leader of the free world

28a.jpg

Back