Cookie Bar by Corrosive

Do you think this solution works for compliance on the EU Cookie Law?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Corrosive

Hi all

As promised here is a link to my 'solution' for EU Cookie Law Compliance in a zip file; http://www.steelpress.net/projects/cookie-bar/cookie-bar-by-corrosive.zip

Unzip the file and check out the readme folder first to see the latest ICO interpretation of the rules and the readme.txt file explaining some background, rules for usage and the instructions for implementation.

You are free to use this code wherever you like but I will stress that this is my interpretation of compliance and you should seek legal advice before relying on it to be compliant with the law. I accept no responsibility for any prosecution or fines resulting from a website not being fully compliant with the EU Cookie Law.

You can see the cookie bar in action at; Web Design and Print Design in Bristol | Yoto Creative

Please also vote on the poll as to whether you think this is a good enough solution and leave a comment if you think anything could be improved or find any browser issues (not IE6 though, life is just too short...)

I think that once navigated away from the landing page it should automatically be removed from then on (i.e customer agreement for cookie use) whether clicked or not, like the BBC site does.

I think that once navigated away from the landing page it should automatically be removed from then on (i.e customer agreement for cookie use) whether clicked or not, like the BBC site does.

OK, I've made a couple of updates and the message now only appears once. It will disappear on the page you are on when the link is clicked to 'hide' but it will also disappear if you navigate to another page on the site. I agree this is a lot less obtrusive. It also made me consider another issue. That is that the javascript is actioned as the page is loading so we were getting 'flashes' of the bar on pages as they loaded, even if the option to hide was selected. I sorted this by setting the style of the containing #cookie-bar div to display: none; and then showing it if the cookie was not present. This means the default is set to not display the cookie bar message unless the javascript says it needs to. The link is the same above but, if you have already tried this, you might want to update your script and css files.

Check it out on a 'slower' site at; http://www.bristolcomputerfix.co.uk/

Nice mate, I was getting the bar flashing too which now seems to be sorted, that is a really nice fix to what is a really stupid law, will be putting it on my sites shortly.

Thanks again
:icon_cheers:

Why did the cookie cry?

Because his mummy was a wafer so long..

sorry...

Last edited:
Back