Converting abstract brush colour elements from Photoshop to Illustrator

asherz

Hi guys,

I'm seeking some advice, having only dabbled in illustrator and being fairly fluent in Photoshop I find my self frustrated trying to convert elements from a newly designed logo into a vectorised image ready for print, and just wanted some advice on whether it's actually possible and if so how to go about doing it.

Basically I have the main outline created for my logo which for all intensive purposes lets just say is a plain circle, in Photoshop I have used water colour splash brushes to build up layers, and then used a layer with a colour overlay setting to brush on some colours and give a nice washed out watercolour effect.

I am curious if it's possible to go about vectorising this almost abstract coloured camo effect in illustrator? and if not I had considered painting watercolour on actual canvas and then scanning it in and doing it that way, however obviously this still wouldn't be able to be resized for large posters but possible temporary solution for small tshirt/sticker logos.

Here is the sample I am trying to recreate, and was created using a brush in photoshop and several built up layers:

screenshot20130328at204.png

Basically, no. Illustrator is a vector programme whereas Photoshop is pixel.

You can 'place' your image in Illustrator, but make sure your image is at least 300dpi at the final size you want to use it.

It's too complex for a quick reply, but I'd advise you to look at images created in Illustrator by professionals and see what is possible - Vectorstock has some great examples.

Time to 'Think Different' if you get my drift.

Good luck.

Basically, no. Illustrator is a vector programme whereas Photoshop is pixel.

You can 'place' your image in Illustrator, but make sure your image is at least 300dpi at the final size you want to use it.

It's too complex for a quick reply, but I'd advise you to look at images created in Illustrator by professionals and see what is possible - Vectorstock has some great examples.

Time to 'Think Different' if you get my drift.

Good luck.

Thought as much, cheers for the advice though Nick, as I said I've got the actual logo vectorised it was just the customised background that's dynamic at any rate, so I'll just get some larger logos made up for print :)

Thanks again! I'll checkout vectorstock as well

Back