Convert Inkscape export file to cmyk

CartoonFarOut

Hello all,

I have an Inkscape project that I am ready to send to the printing company, but they say they want a jpg in CMYK format. If they accepted PDFs, that would have been easy: export to png, import it in scribus, save as pdf with color mode set for printer. But scribus doesn't seem to have such an option for images.

So I need to convert the RGB png export of inkscape to a cmyk jpg.

Apparently photoshop can do that, but I don't have PS and I'd rather not pay just for a format conversion. Which brings me to my question - does anyone here know the best freeware tool to do that? I tried searching google, but all that pops up is programmers looking for help in developing their algorithms for that. And searching this forum didn't provide any clear answers.

gimp would be the first thing that I would try if you must try free.... or you could just get the demo version of photoshop

If your design software is already struggling to output the correct file formats, which are industry standards, then I'm willing to bet that there are many other limitations that you will be struggling to resolve - when you discover them at the last minute. PhotoShop is the industry leader for a reason - it's not just a format converter ;) You can always get previous editions for little enough.
Definitely give GIMP a try though, as Levi suggested.

Sean Lee-Amies said:
If your design software is already struggling to output the correct file formats, which are industry standards, then I'm willing to bet that there are many other limitations that you will be struggling to resolve - when you discover them at the last minute. PhotoShop is the industry leader for a reason - it's not just a format converter ;) You can always get previous editions for little enough.
Definitely give GIMP a try though, as Levi suggested.
Mind you it does seem strange that a printing company doesn't accept a pdf....

Back