Contract / business query

Rocketship67

Hey everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but if anyone can help me on this then I would really appreciate it.

Basically, my contract at my agency says I cannot engage into any business or employment which is similar to or in competitive with the business, or which could be considered to impair my ability to act at all times in the best interests of my agency, outside my hours of work at the agency. If I engage in any other employment then I must notify my agency in writing of any hours elsewhere.

My question is, I currently sell greeting cards and wall art on etsy with my partner? Nothing major but the odd few sales per month. Is this allowed or am I breaching my contract?

Also I am looking to sell my own personal illustrations and prints online via my own website...would this be a breach of my contract?

Personally I don't see either of these as a problem as they are not similar or in competition with my agency but I'm not sure how my employer would react if they found out, and don't want to be caught in a bad situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Technically that would likely be a breach of contract imo... would they find out about it, probably not if it's more to do with your partner on etsy than you (ie using their name and no mention of you on etsy etc).

It's obvious that your personal work isn't in competition with your day to day work. The other wording seems to imply that
they just don't want you turning up for work when you've had an all-nighter doing your personal stuff. As long as that's not the case,
I don't see a problem. I would tell them up front what I was doing, rather than them finding out from someone else.

Back