Content Management System - Vote

Which CMS do you use?

• Total voters
T

Tony Hardy

Content Management Systems are becoming/have become massive over the last few years. People want to be able to update their own website, run blogs, competitions etc.

For the past few years, I've been using Wordpress, but I'm getting sick of having to hack code and templates to bits to do a simple little job. Now I'm looking for a move away, probably to MODx.
When designing a site, what do you use out of choice, and why?

I've played around with both, but done more in WP. I don't like it though and want to learn modX at some point soon.

I tend to use Perch (grabaperch.com). You can build the site the way you want to and then add on the CMS. Really quick for simple sites…which is usually all my clients require. But you can use it to build larger sites too. Everything is modular so if you don't need a blog or a gallery you don't have to add it in.

Others that I like the look of are Kirby CMS (getkirby.com) and Anchor (anchorcms.com) planning on experimenting with them soon.

Personally have never enjoyed working with Wordpress, so I don't.

WordPress all the way for me.
Does everything I need it do and the scope is pretty much endless with it (within reason)

I use Wordpress and Joomla, Joomla is pretty good and seems more suited for a developer and the backend is very simple to use. Wordpress at times can be really annoying when adding conent...
Like anything else they all have the good and bad points. I think the wordpress interface is good a lot better than Joomla.

I'm about to make a Wordpress theme pretty much from scratch. Should be interesting!

I have just been looking at a good tut for that recently will try and find it for you, I have start to have a go at making a custom theme then end up colouring something in - does my head in looking at code for too long. :eek:

I use Wordpress mostly.. but I also use ExpressionEngine, Joomla, Drupal and some custom made ones. To me the most reliable one is Wordpress.. Only because you can force it to do more than in other sites.. But ExpressionEngine is very cool too.. I just finished building www.tabletopday.com in ExpressionEngine.
Also just realised this is my 6000th post :D

Hi all,
We use a variety of different CMS's over at EdgeThreeSixty, but our most popular ones being Wordpress, Drupal and Umbraco for our .net development. Our decision making upon which platform we will build the website depends entirely on the brief, I have to say in our opinion there is no specific CMS that is the "best" - It completely depends on what you the website wants to do and if the particular CMS has the resources for it. For example - if Wordpress has a great plugin for a particular bit of functionality that can be made in a couple of hours, why rewrite the wheel in drupal? Vice versa! We have been making some large scale web based applications and we chose a .net platform driven by an Umbraco CMS - sure we probably could have done it through Drupal/Wordpress but our client wanted it in .net so we opted that way.
A great upcoming CMS to consider would be Concrete5 - http://www.concrete5.org/, have a look and give it an install locally you won't be dissapointed :)

If you are a developer (familiar with Git, SVN etc) you will love "static site generator" such as Octopress:
Post with your favourite editor (Vim, Sublime etc).
No wysiwyg bullshit.
No database hassle.
No security hassle (read-only site).
No performance hassle (static site, easily deal with 10k visitors).

I'm departing on learning ModX early next week. Can't wait to get started!

Ive been playing with Squarespace for the past week, and for someone like me (who is a complete dummy when it comes to web design) it is absolutely perfect! Im sure you could use it to design a site for a client, then show them how to update it as its so easy to use.

I've never looked in to Squarespace. Will have a gander tomorrow!

Usually wordpress for me if the site has 'wordpressy' type requirements. For something bigger or a site with special requirements then ExpressionEngine would be an obvious choice since it's unlike any other CMS the way a totally bespoke data structure can be set specific to the requirements of the job. Its therefor very flexible and powerful. Its like you design and build the site as you want rather than design it then try and fit in the functionality around the CMS. Its not a free CMS though so its no good for smaller / cheap and cheerful jobs.

richimgd said:
Its not a free CMS though so its no good for smaller / cheap and cheerful jobs.
Isn't there a free option with ExpressionEngine? It looks good.

The free version (or free Core) of Expression Engine is very good, I built this with it: www.tabletopday.com.
There is only one problem with the Core, some of the useful elements are disabled, but you can work around them :)

Nice looking site Chris :)
Hopefully one day this week/into next week I'll begin coding my own new site with ModX. I'll feedback the results and how I find it to use!

Technically the free version shouldn't be used for commercial websites. It can be used for personal websites so possibly you could get away with using it for websites that are of an artist / band type nature as they are blurred between personal and commercial / business. I guess any serious business is going to need a proper licence. Annoyingly core doesn't come with out of the box email functionality so you wouldn't be able make simple contact forms using native EE tags etc. I think core is relatively new. I might sound like I know what I'm talking about but I'm pretty new to EE :p

Back