Content Management System - Vote

Which CMS do you use?

• Total voters
chrismitchell said:
The free version (or free Core) of Expression Engine is very good, I built this with it: www.tabletopday.com.
There is only one problem with the Core, some of the useful elements are disabled, but you can work around them :)
Looks good. Nice google maps integration.

Hahaha, is EE expensive? That's what I want to know. And, is it worth paying for?

Tony Hardy said:
Hahaha, is EE expensive? That's what I want to know. And, is it worth paying for?
Well for £500-1000 websites its probably not really worth it, but for websites with bigger budgets then the extra power of EE as well as some seriously powerful plugins (which also arnt free!) will make it easily worth it if the requirements call for the functionality.
This is any example EE plugin called CE Image. You can manipulate images on the server, apply effects, crop, resize. Pretty powerful stuff if you utilise it properly. I.e no need to have to save multiple image formats, the web templates can control all that for you, then think of automated image over effects for buttons etc. You can integrate it seamlessly into the CMS in a much more elegant way than you might with other CMS's.
Theres tons of other powerful plugins. They're not free though so you might have to pay $300 for the EE licence then another $100 for plugins in some cases but for the right client it will be well worth it.
Just noticed on the core version you apparently need to put a link saying 'powered by expression engine'. Not sure if they are really going to check though if you don't!

yeah the tabletopday site used the free core EE but we had to buy 2 modules to control a couple of bits in the backend and the one of map elements LOL for a total $89.00 which was a bit rubbish.. but it worked in the end :)
I quite like EE, but I do prefer Wordpress.

I think I'm looking at keeping my faith with Wordpress for the minute. Just got done coding a site with it that I'm pretty happy with. Also started learning some PHP which should help things along a little!

Always keep your faith in Wordpress, Tony, it will never do you wrong :D

chrismitchell said:
Always keep your faith in Wordpress, Tony, it will never do you wrong :D
I think with the way it is now and how it looks, it'll only grow. So many people are using it and so many thing are being added/catered for with each new update!

I recently converted my site into WordPress a couple of weeks back, just for the ease of updating it - I'd become lazy with the tedium of editing all my files individually and manually creating new pages etc, so it's brilliant for that now.
Still needs quite a bit of tweaking though (especially the home page which I need to do when I get some time soon), but I don't want to offer web design so as long as it is easy to update and I can work on how it looks, then it suits me.

I used to use Wordpress, but when I started working for my old firm they were using Concrete5.
Now I use C5 for CMS and OpenCart/Wordpress for eCommerce sites. C5 is a great CMS, very simple to convert static HTML sites to a CMS (much quicker than a WP site). It's on-page editing, which is always nice for the user - as opposed to editing a back end 'post' in WP. The downsides are a lot of the 'useful' plugins you have to pay for. They're not all expensive, and you could just build your own plugin, but it is still a pain.
Tried messing with Joomla/Drupal, but didn't have the time/patience when C5 was just a simple process to follow.

i use wordpress only because it is quite good. for the backend it is simple to use and in my opinion, it is easy to add content on wordpress.

I use MODx in office because it is very flexible and therefore well suitable for big online platforms.
For freelancing, I used to offer Joomla! to my clients. In the last year though, since there is an increasing number of customers who want to update their website on their own, I use WordPress: in my opinion it has a clear back-end layout.

Back