consumer rights

amyerose

Hello,

I have a friend who created a cookery book for her university project. She went to a digital printers who quoted her X amount, which she accepted. She later got an email saying that it would be now double X amount due to an error with the the binding, and therefore a reprint was needed. Because this error occured she did not wish them to proceed in creating another corrected copy. They say she still needs to pay X amount for the paper used in the error print.

Is this right? If the due to the printers fault an error was made does shstill owe them money?

Thanks

Any error with the binding is not your friends fault and an error on behalf of the printer, therefore, this should be rectified at the printers cost.

They seriously expect her to pick up the tab for their mistake? Invite them to insert the botched copies into themselves vigourously and repeatedly but do make sure she's clear in her instructions - she doesn't want another bill.

The error is nothing to do with your friend, the printers should be providing her with the correct job at the cost she was quoted.

Don't pay for their mistake!

I would say they are within their rights to ask for paper money if you've cancelled the job entirely now though.

... I would say they are within their rights to ask for paper money if you've cancelled the job entirely now though.

Not if they've been given the opportunity to correct their mistake - and a refusal to proceed to the agreed outcome without payment for the first, cocked-up job is an unreasonable, unjustifiable request.

If the printer has made the mistake then the printer should sort it out at their cost.

This is one of the problems with printers not leaving enough margins in the job (very cheap prices) to be able to do this. "In the good old days" there was often enough margin in the job to reprint whoever made the cock-up! The more processes the job has to go through the more the likelihood of it going 'tits-up' and printers used to 'allow' for this.

Totally agree! I'm a huge fan of buy local. I buy a fair amount of print and tend to go with the person who I know will do a good job for the right money (and has the right press) I will not buy outside the UK. Having been in print for a massive number of years I see prices going down - though I have noticed that paper prices have also come down since 2010! A printer will buy a million pound machine and then looks at the savings he makes (shorter set-up, etc) and seems to forget that he has to pay for the thing!

Wow, what sort of dodgy printing firm is this?!

She needs to be firm and get on the phone and ask to speak to a manager and state that they WILL be paying for the reprint at their own cost and not hers. If that doesn't work, start with the formal letters and keep escalating it all the way to small claims court if necessary.

I bet it was a cheap job. This is what happens when you pay for cheap cheap printing (or any other service). Stick with reputable firms like Stationery Direct.

Amanda

Blimey, never heard of anything like that before.

I'm not suggesting this would ever happen at this company (from everything I've heard they're very good) but it did remind me of this Message For Students on a printers website: A Message For Students.

Back