Connecting External drive to Chromebook help

HippySunshine

Hi all.

I got myself a little chromebook simply for coding, and it's great apart from when I come to connect my (password locked) WD Passport hard drive, it says that it is not compatible with Chrome OS and to find an app.

I have tried to find a solution online to this but having no such luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I will be pretty bummed if I can't access my Hard drive on my Chrombook :(

Thanks

how did you password lock the hard drive, built in software or windows/mac software?

edit: looks windows only without formatting for os-x. No support for chrome os while it has passwords applied to the drive so looks like the only option is to to run it without password to access it.

If you need password protection the best solution would be find a chrome os 'password app' that also has a windows/os-x counterpart.

You'll need to plug it into a windows pc to permanently unlock the password then if you want to access it on chromeos. I'm not sure if formatting (assuming you don't want to keep data) it say on windows/linux/os-x would actually give you all the space back either as I'm not sure how it's enforcing it's password.

I do want to keep the data.
I'll try removing the password on Windows and if that fails, maybe back up the hard drive and format?

Thanks Levi.

Fixed.

For anyone interested, I had to download the WD Security software from their website and this allows you to change or remove a password.
It now opens successfully on my chromebook.

Happy hippy x

Tell me more about chromebook....Can we install software like photoshop or illustrator on it? Or it's just for google things (mail, drive etc...) It looks interesting but where are the limits?
thkx!

There is a chrome photoshop of some kind now. I'm not entirely sure what that is yet, i'm still getting my head around the basics.

Its a great little thing, but everything being apps is strange. For some reason you are unable to add folders or shortcuts to the desktop, which annoys me a little, and it keeps signing me out of some things. But it does the coding job very well. Light, fast, and zero noise.

It hasn't really stopped me from doing anything I normally do on a PC yet, however I code, not design, so I can't say how suiable it is for design software. These of course would be app based.

Tell me more about chromebook....Can we install software like photoshop or illustrator on it? Or it's just for google things (mail, drive etc...) It looks interesting but where are the limits?
thkx!
Just think of it as basically google chrome browser as the entire os. It doesn't have an os as such like windows or os-x although technically it's based on linux. Any 'programs' that run on it are basically the same as the stuff in the chrome browser store or 'web apps'.

Personally I'd say it's fine for things like word processing and code etc but it's not something thats suited to the daily usage of a graphic designer, partly due to the usually lower end spec hardware.

Back