complex wordpress question

C

chrismitchell

I want to build a backoffice system in wordpress (using the front end) so that contributors can upload documents, share the documents and download documents. Without going into the backend of wordpress to do this.

Anyone know of any way to achieve this? Doesn't have to be done in wordpress.. just thought it might be a bit easier to do it in a CMS?

Any help?

actually found an interesting way around this by running a plug in called Buddypress (its a social networking thing but it allows for people to upload files and view them)..

very interesting :D

well it took me some testing and installing then uninstalling loads of plugins and customising the various plugins to make it do what i want.. i'm about half way there now.. just getting a 500 server error when trying to view an uploaded document, but ultimately its working :)

permissions for the uploads folder? or an 'undefined' uploads folder in the settings?

its a folder within the uploads folder. it has all read / write access for everyone involved.. but for some reason a 500 error arrives when you try to view an uploaded document... strange really.. i've sent an email to the developers of the plug in to see what they say :)

IT would require some custom built area I guess, some PHP system that would plugin to wordpress. We use one at work where we have an admin side and a client side, its a bit ropey but it works, we are actually looking for a brand new system that does the same job, it';s worth putting the question out and askinf if anyone knows one?

I'll take a look at the one you've mentioned Chris cheers!

I found this piece of code that may help shed some light on your situation: How to Allow Contributors to Upload Files in Wordpress

It allows for contributors to upload files, but by changing a value you may be able to allow visitors/subscribers to upload a file.

Changing:
PHP:
current_user_can('contributor')

to

PHP:
current_user_can('subscriber')

I've never really had the need to do this before but it may come in very handy in the hear future, so I'm going to look into it more.

Back