Completely confused now.

bamme

Hi people.

I recently posted this:

Not so long ago i posted about the following site and asked what it looked like in IE (as a mac user i dont have it..)

www.ameliealden.com/stf/test

I got told here that it works fine in ie6, 7 and 8.. but have recently seen it doesnt work! Its a bit dodgy on IE6, the persons laptop i saw it on has ie7, and its also wrong in ie8 apparently.

the things that are wrong are:
a) quick contact tab: is transparent in background
b) navigation menu - the heading at the top "CONTACT ME" has ended up on 2 lines .... CONTACT
ME
c) on the homepage, there are rotating grey quotes. in IE they sort of 'overlap' the page to then be centered to the right..

To then be told that problem b), the navigation menu, also looked wrong in firefox.

In my firefox it looks fine, all menu items appear on one row.

I dont understand why it looks different on other peoples - maybe i need to make sure i am viewing with default settings but as i dont use safari at all ever, im sure this is default viewing settings..Im now worried all my websites dont look the way they do to me..

can anyone help me?

Emma

It just takes time. When you're starting out nothing will ever look the same in all browsers. You'll eventually be able to remember each browsers various bugs etc and begin to be able to second guess them and build a site that'll work in all browsers with no conditional css etc and without even having to check. Until then just keep tinkering I guess lol.

I think though the problem you're having might be browser versions and operating systems. Sounds that way anyway.

thanks for the reassurance harry, someone said in a different post you were a bit of an expert :)

could you possibly expand on this a bit:
I think though the problem you're having might be browser versions and operating systems.

Do you mean that perhaps i have a different operating system to others, so my firefox's default settings will be different to others? If i upgrade, will the problem be solved? Im scared to design any more websites now..

The versions thing basically means that someone running Firefox 2 for example is on essentially a totally different browser to someone running Firefox 3.5. Also, FF Mac and FF Win will be ever so slightly different.

And I can't pinpoint the exact problem(s) in that other thread but I will say that you seem to be using JS purely for the sake of it in a lot of places. It adds nothing to the UX and is causing you a lot of headaches. I'd focus more on writing some really clean markup and CSS, ignore the JS unless it necessary/beneficial (which IMO it isn't as used there) and perhaps throw some CSS3 in there to get some nice styling sans-headache.

Hi Harry

thanks for the advice, and i understand about the jquery - the guy just said plenty of moveables hah. Css3 is a good shout but is it cross browser compliant?

I dont know much about css3 at all except for what i researched about midnight last night when i read your reply - essentially the only things id really like to keep is say, a shadow over each button when hovered/clicked, and the dropdowns when you click the orange arrows.. any way you know that i could do this?

Thanks for the help :)

Emma

Emma

emmaburge said:
(I didnt want to post on designforums about it.. i feel like a massive idiot all the latest help posts are me..!)

Dont worry, thats what everyone is here for, to help eachother.
I have days where I post LOADS of silly questions im stuck on, alot of us here are all still learning so fire away :)

x

Thanks Harry that site of yours is very very useful for someone like me, I'll bookmark this thread and come back to it when i can actually face looking at that site on ie again :D

There were a couple other things I really want to remember from that quick tips link - things I wish Id have known before starting to code a x-browser compliant site. Do you know of a good list of things that should always be avoided or included in order to avoid issues like the one with this site? If i memorise a few basic 'rules' for x-browser compliancy I'll be hopefully getting a tiny bit closer to this

You'll eventually be able to remember each browsers various bugs etc and begin to be able to second guess them and build a site that'll work in all browsers with no conditional css etc and without even having to check. Until then just keep tinkering I guess lol.

:)

Emma sweetheart don't worry about posting I mean it gives me and Harry battleground to argue over TBH. :)

But everyone wants to know something, even me from time to time, I know Harry's helped me out on CSS3 and I've helped him out on PHP. The thing about web development is there is a lot to learn and with each individual language always advancing and improving it's not always that easy to stay current with all languages all of the time, then you have web design to take in to account as well and well unless you are really, really dedicated and learn in your spare time there's always room for improvement.

Didn't Truman once say "It is what you learn after you know everything that counts." so just keeping asking questions if you have them. :)

Also just because you are posting the help thread, doesn't mean other ppl are not having the same issue and would love to know the answer.

Just keep at it your doing fine from what I can see.

When it comes to problems like that, the best thing I say is TBH code to the most current browser, unless it's IE and tell them what the most current version is and ask them to tell you what they are using and explain how they find out.

I mean using server code you could hit every browser and every version but the problem is this you would have to code for ~

IE6,
IE7,
IE8,
FF2,
FF3,
O9,
O10,
Saf3,
Saf4,

Then check out the Mac versions as well and thats not taking into account the occasional minor CSS fix's that happen in between versions, so for example saf2 and saf2.2 for example.

So it's not practical TBH.

Now if anyone can tell me how I can get older versions of FF, Opera and Saf to run on the same computer then again I wont care TBH.

Sometimes you just have to say look here and educate your clients, and sometimes you have to walk away and say fair enough but I cant work like this, you know.

With those JavaScript problems, any idea which script is giving you the problem as TBH I can't be arsed to go through every script, there is a lot which is also hampering page load time TBH.

Jaz :)

Jazajay said:
Now if anyone can tell me how I can get older versions of FF, Opera and Saf to run on the same computer then again I wont care TBH.
Firefox is easy :)
portable firefox
Chrome and sea monkey are also available from there.

I've seen safari and opera too but not sure if they're legal versions or not.

thanks for your view on that jaz, ive sorta set myself a rule now that ill make sure things work in IE 7 and 8, current version of firefox, " of safari, " of opera. does anyone think i should be trying to accommodate for more/different browsers?

Sometimes you just have to say look here and educate your clients, and sometimes you have to walk away and say fair enough but I cant work like this, you know.

Glad you said that! :)

Yeah you should hit 6 as well TBH still has a big market share, but apart from that that's all I hit.
You also have to bare in mind ppl who use alternate browsers to IE tend to upgrade more often anyway, and even if they don't the browsers them selves update quickly themselves. So....

I think it was Berry who told me that actually. :)

Back