Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Complete beginner

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Kevin Sim, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

Hi all,

I am a 42 year old father of 3, who has been married for 11 years. I started out in catering, then went into accounts, where I spent 17 years boring the pants off myself, before leaving, moving away op north and starting my own cheesecake company.

I am looking more at Photography, Art and Illustation more of a hobby. I have no idea where to start, but feel I have a good eye for things when I see them, with regards to light and depth.

I was looking for some pointers, or what things I should buy to get me started and any courses that I could get on, with zero experience? I hope you guys can help.

Oh I am also a massive music fan, of mainly Rock/Metal. Metallica, Foo Fighters, MUSE, Avenged Sevenfold.......

Looking forward to speaking more with you guys.

Laters
    Kev

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Hey Kev.

Welcome to GDF.
    If you want to get into photography then do what I did.... I bought one of my kids a decent camera for Xmas. ;)
    Win, win. :D

I know it sounds a bit obvious but with art/illustration, the first thing you need is a pencil and a sketchbook/paper.
    That's where it all starts.
    The rest depends on medium you want to use (analogue or digital).

Why kind of thing are you wanting to do?
    What floats your boat?

Post up a couple of pic's of the kind of thing you like and maybe some of us here could advise you a bit better.

3. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

Hey Scotty,

I tend to just whip out my mobile phone camera, when out and about cycling, or dropping, picking the kids up from school. I see a view and stop as I like the light or depth.

I will post some later, but would like to sketch as well, but no idea if I will be any good. I used to be ok at school, but would like some courses so I can pick up technique.

I will post some snaps in a bit.

4. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

5. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

6. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

Love this one. The photo did not come out great, but love the symmetry

[​IMG]

7. Kevin Sim

Kevin Sim New Member

8. Kevin Sim