Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

competitions

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by jannah hossain, Mar 25, 2016.

1. jannah hossain

jannah hossain New Member

HI,
    i'm a student in year 10 and i'm looking for any competitions that would be suitable for my
    age category. I'd preferably like to enter with a creative graphical piece of work. Any suggestions?

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Competitions will not pay a wage. I strongly discourage this route.

You cannot have a career on the promise of being paid if your design is 'chosen' - follow the link and read below carefully.

www.nospec.com

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

he's 14-15 Hank.... I've said it before I don't mind comps aimed at children which don't look to replace paid designers as it allows them to practice their skills.

Do I know of any... no, sorry, as I require paying for my services, supporting Hanks view there, I don't go around looking for comps.

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I agree with both @Levi and @hankscorpio on this one as comp's are exploitative but I see the appeal when you're starting out.
    A written brief and the chance of winning.

5. hankscorpio

I wasn't aware of what "Year 10" meant.

I still don't encourage any competitions.

It's nearing the summer - why not put a portfolio together and contact local design companies and see if you can intern/work experience for the summer, part time or what not.

6. Levi

I suppose we could sling up some 'simple briefs' if necessary couldn't we. Maybe make them a sticky thread or something

scotty likes this.
  7. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I'd be happy to chip in.

8. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

There was talk of this a while ago. I think Hank perhaps posted one or two but it never really took off like we'd hoped. I still think it would be a great way to engage with the forum community and give some meaningful feedback.

9. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

The thread is here > http://www.graphicdesignforums.co.uk/forums/practice-design-briefs.48/

10. hankscorpio

With over 700 views and no takers...

11. jannah hossain

whats a sticky thread ?

12. Levi

one that's been made to stick in the same place (ie at top of other threads), either that or someones run some thread through some jam and made it sticky :)

13. jannah hossain

lol.:D:D ok so what was the proposition being made, i'm kinda confused. Am i supposed to put a portfolio together and then post it on a 'sticky thread'?( not the jam and string kind) and then people respond with feedback to the work ???

14. jannah hossain

thanks anyway and just so you know it's a 'she' :)

15. Levi

Sorry, just an 'auto type' assumption when replying

A bit of both, you can create your own brief and then we'll give feedback or if you want something I'm sure we can knock up something if need be.

There's also a couple already in the section linked by BossHog earlier

16. jannah hossain

thnx :):)