Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comic Books/Graphic Novels

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Does anybody read any awesome comic books/graphic novels? I know there are a lot of Illustrators on here and wondered where you guys draw your inspiration and things from.

I'm currently reading through the Preacher series, and holy hell (pun intended) it's AWESOME!

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

I used to like reading Tank Girl but then I totally went off Jamie Hewlett when I found out they totally stole the idea for the Gorrilaz from someone else.
    Minor rant.

3. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Who did they steal the Gorrilaz idea off?

4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Some guy had the idea for a cartoon band and outlined all the plot and the character profiles and did some character designs but it got passed to Jamie Hewlett who was sharing a flat with Damon Albarn at the time to do some work on them.
    Some time later Jamie and Damon came up with the Gorrillaz which were just a polished version of the guys concept.
    The guy tried to take legal action but it would have bankrupted him to proceed with it as Albarn/Hewlett were backed by the record company.
    They paid the guy a small sum to sign a gagging order so he couldn't talk about it.
    It was a friend of the guy who was talking about it as he wasn't covered by the gagging order and showed all the guys original concepts to prove his point.
    Bad show!

5. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

I don't tend to buy many (and if I do it's local small press stuff more than superheroes), but I'm gathering a few classics together. Here's a few I'd recommend:
    [​IMG]
    Violent Cases
    Basically a comic for people who don't read comics. Interesting story about memories by Niel Gaiman and insane dreamlike oil-paint/mixed-media artwork from Dave McKean.
    [​IMG]
    Arkham Asylum
    You wouldn't have the Arkham Asylum/City games without this. More amazingness from Dave McKean with Grant Morrison doing a story about the crazy Batman villains and the twisted history of the asylum itself.
    [​IMG]
    Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction
    Again an example of other media drawing on comics for inspiration, without this Ron Perlman would never have been exposed to so much red face paint. I love Mike Mignola's art style and have tried to incorporate more of his way of using solid blacks to define shapes into my own work. It's a bit different to the movie, but there's still a demon in a trench coat fighting supernatural beasties and occult-obsessed nazis.
    [​IMG]
    Usagi Yojimbo
    What's not cool about a Samurai Rabbit, inspired by a historical swordsman and ronin, with early ties to Eastman & Laird's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? All written and drawn by Stan Takai. I only own book 24 and a massive "The Art Of" book, as it's quite a long running series starting in the 80s. I really like his traditional black & white dippy pen cartoon art style.

6. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member