Combining fine art with design

Dave1975

Or another way of putting it art with beer!
Not sure if any of you have seen the news of this new promotion by Beck's yet?

becks1.jpg

From the 1st of August four emerging artists work will be displayed on the labels of 27 million limited edition bottles of Beck’s beer! Their latest initiative labeled Beck’s Canvas runs alongside Beck’s Fusion – a collaborative programme of artists and Music.

OMG I hate these things so much.

I really think Beck's could of choosen much better artists for this project.

I like a bit of Becks, and studied these recently - wasn't very impressed to be honest! I like the attempt at least ;)

I think they would have hit closer to the mark if they'd used street or urban artists.

mrleesimpson said:
I think they would have hit closer to the mark if they'd used street or urban artists.

Id disagree with that, I think that would miss their "target audiance"

Not everyone is a fan of street art!

mike said:

I don't see why they didn't perhaps cover different types of art to cover a wider audience? I wonder what their target market is specifically?

I would have liked to have seen some more exciting labels as part of the promotion, whether that was street art or modern art...

mike said:

Yes. But I think Beck's target market are a younger drinker and I think that street/urban art would appeal more to those people rather than the drivel they have on there at the moment.

I've never been drawn to a beer that has a picture of a duck on the bottle, be it an art duck or otherwise.

I remember when Sprite/Coca Cola did this a few years ago and they managed to get it pretty much spot on.

hmm, i suppose thats an interesting debate in itself as I have always seen Becks as an older drink,

Most of my mates woulkd be drinking bud, stella or grolsch

These days designers are holding exhibitions and fine artists are designing corporate identities. I have no hate for the fine art world because I used to be a fine artist before my parents made me change, or, and I quote, "die".

Some people may try to differentiate between the two, and I guess it is pretty easy to do. Design is visual communication, and Fine Arts focus mainly on the aesthetic and emotion. But the more I think about it, David Carsons was right, all art has to communicate. Every painting must contain a message. Of course, you can do one with no message, but how can anyone say any work of art is "good" if it doesn't say anything to anyone. Even Rothko's works are saying something.

Hey Panasit, another motion designer. Maybe you could help me persuade Greg to open up a moving image forum? And yes, Rothko's stuff speaks volumes. Volumes I tell ya.

Becks using 'street art' would be waaaay off brand. They're going for the same market as Stella's "Reassuringly expensive' campaign was. Expensive trendy beer that only cool, wealthy and intellegent types drink. Having seen Stella's marketing over the last few years, can you possibly imagine them taking a street art/graffiti route?! Until very recently they sponsored the a tennis tournament at one of the most exclusive and expensive tennis clubs in the world. Becks want a bigger piece of that market!

I personally don't think the campaign is that offensive at all, it can never be a bad thing to promote art to a wider and new audience, Pizza Express did a few years back on their house wines, and I'm sure others have done it before too.

Beck's has been sponsoring contemporary art events since 1985 this campaign is just an extension of that. They ran a similar campaign a few years ago if i remember correctly they used artwork by Damien Hirst and Tim Head. Becks are huge sponsors of the arts and I think their labels bring some sorely needed culture into the pubs and clubs of the UK, its a start anyway! I do feel they could take it a step further though .... perhaps sponsor up and comin artists and use their work on the labels.

Back