coding me a new website, yarr.

tim

hey hey DF.

i've been working on a new website. got the final sketches now and they're feeling good.

here was the sketch.

IM ON ABOUT CODING THE TOP LINE OF NAV AND LOGO HAHA

there are images above the nav.

DOUCHE.jpg

obviously, for accessibility and to avoid general stupidity, the logo wouldnt be part of the container background, but for accessibility reasons I wouldn't use left/right columns or <span></span> would i?

I'm not too sure what your asking Tim?

Using spans doesn't make a site inaccessible but empty spans (often used for image text replacement) are considered bad practice as they are not a necessary part of the mark up and are used for the design only, technically html should be markup only and css for the design, empty spans cross the design/markup boundaries (think that makes sense).

nice one harry i thought it'dbe that just, well, you know me with my thoughts.

they're mainly, well completely, wrong.

tbwcf said:
I'm not too sure what your asking Tim?

Using spans doesn't make a site inaccessible but empty spans (often used for image text replacement) are considered bad practice as they are not a necessary part of the mark up and are used for the design only, technically html should be markup only and css for the design, empty spans cross the design/markup boundaries (think that makes sense).

What you say is most definitely correct, but when it comes to image replacement some sacrifices are better to make than others. Probably a topic for another thread though haha.

Harry, I'm not sure if the whole site of glens was sorted by you or not but half the links are leading to error pages. Thought I'd better mention it at the very least :)

Levi said:
Harry, I'm not sure if the whole site of glens was sorted by you or not but half the links are leading to error pages. Thought I'd better mention it at the very least :)

No I didn't build the whole site, just wee bits.

nah, fanboys love steve jobs- i dont. i just think he's a bit clevererer than gates.

Oh come on Greg :p

So back on topic... are you planning on working it out in Photoshop? Because from the sound of it, you just started coding it.

of course i've started in photoshop n00b, i just wanted to know because the question was in my head at the time and i always ****ing forget.

i also had code set up for the three newspaper-column-like layout... but i lost it.

how do i code that harry/sunburn/tbwcf/etc?

The only way to do that is by making three divs that act as your columns, and then carefully measure out your content (by hand) to make the columns the same size. If you want to have them even out automatically there is some jQuery script available, which I can't remember the name of.

ahh okay nice one.

msn me that link if you find it. will need your help in a lil while anyway.

Code for three cols? Simple.

Code:
.col{  float:left;  width:33%;  display:inline;}

or:

Code:
#content{  -moz-column-count:3;  -moz-column-gap:10px;}

Code:
<div class="col">  …</div><div class="col">  …</div><div class="col">  …</div>

or

Code:
<div id="content">  …</div>

Back