co.uk domain name

Vanessa

Advice please - I was planning to buy a domain name and set up a basic website on Hover, but I can only see .co option, not co.uk...

Where is the best place to get co.uk from? I'm not a web designer / developer so looking for a site where I can get my domain name, and host my portfolio (possibly even email) for an affordable price.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Try using namecheckr to see what's available.
It also checks other social media sites like Facebook and Twitter and the like.

For my hosting I used Siteground as you get a free domain name.

Great thanks, I used namecheckr and .co.uk didn't come up so I assume that's taken then!

Guess I'll have to go for .com

Do you get lots of spam emails Scotty? I was opting for Hover as they protect your details and I saw that free domain name options can mean you get lots of spam etc. As details get shared...

I get a few but it's no biggie.
You can protect your details for an extra fee.

To get a bit extra off go to the checkout and then go to leave the page and they offer you an extra discount.

You're always going to get some spam with an online presence. I'm currently getting some sent to my 'personal address' from my 'personal address' which is annoying (will be fixing the issue over the weekend), it's not hard to spoof the recipients address in the senders address. I can thank adobe for most of my spam as they got hacked and my personal address (I'd change it but I'm basically too lazy to go through the hassle) was used for their login, you'd think adobe would have had encrypted this sort of important details but no.... but that's another matter.

Most email services should have a level of spam protection in place to help you, if not you can create rules as you go in most email programs.

I'm currently getting some sent to my 'personal address' from my 'personal address' which is annoying (will be fixing the issue over the weekend)

I know someone who is experiencing this same thing. How do you plan on fixing this issue?

This year I have been getting double figures of spam in my bulk mail daily. No matter how much I block and 'auto purge' they just keep coming... :(

I know someone who is experiencing this same thing. How do you plan on fixing this issue?
Not 100% sure yet, I've not fully looked into it yet. I've already got it being sent straight to junk because it is highlighted as ***spam*** so that's an easy rule to set up in outlook, but it's the amount I'm getting which is annoying so I'm going to see what else I can do to reduce it. I'll post up what I end up doing if anything :)

What was the domain you were looking for?

All .co domains should have a .com and a .co.uk counterpart so its possible that the domain name's previous owner allowed it to expire or it may be that your registrar just isn't picking it up for some reason? Try searching for the domain on who.is that should tell you who (if anyone) owns the domain, when it was last renewed etc..

I haven't gone through with a registrar yet, but when I looked on namcheckr it came up with .com, .co (only, not .co.uk) and a ton others (fb, twitter, flickr, loads more) but just not .co.uk.

I'm considering siteground now as looks like Hover don't actually provide hosting, or may just go with Hover and a free hosting site as only a few quid to link to a website builder!

Thanks, any other advice still greatly welcomed!

Back