.co over .co.uk or .com domain names

CotswoldD

Hi Guys

Just joined this forum!

What experience have you guys had with the new .co domain name, it was supposed to be the new big thing the NEW .COM!!!

Yes they were very expensive, but prices have come down, had anyone achieved good rankings with a .co domain name??

Regards pete

I think we're the only country that uses '.co' ahead of the territory suffix so it sounds to me like a big bowl of potential confusion/hassle/expense for gullible and over-cautious .co.uk registrants. I'm not sure that any of the previous new releases have managed to make much of a splash either (like others, I'd never even heard of this one).

Hello,

Anecdotally, .co.uk and .com still provide the most authority in search engines, so until that changes, stick to those. Unless you're doing something clever that will attract attention in other ways. i.e. www.magnifi.co, www.tobac.co etc.

As far as SEO n ranking etc goes, it shouldnt make a difference to bots etc. But people will probably search for yourdomain.co.uk or .com rather than .co, potentialy sending your 'clicks' elsewhere.

Personally, I'd stick to the .co.uk and .com for now unless, as Esvelte Digital Media said, you do something clever with it.

I honestly believe the whole .co thing was made just because of the lack of available domains, with everyone in the Uk obviously going for .co.uk or .org.uk.
America or any other country for that matter (india especially) go for .com so, there are a distinct lack of domains under the .co.uk and .com catergory.

.co offers another alternative.. like .me:icon_smile: kinda, but not quite the same.
Also people have obviously gone for words that end in 'co' like tes.co, mexi.co but there are few words that end in co, so that's not really helpful.

I'mSoAwesomeItHurtsLikeTes.co

.. more then likely to be taken.

As far as I'm aware .co is specifically for Coloumbia and it was advertised everywhere so people would spend money on the domain, I think the latest one is .so but as .com and .net are shortcuts used on the keyboard they will never be replaced. The shortcut is type and word in the URL bar like graphics and press control for .com and shift for .net and press enter at the same time.

Hi Guys

Just joined this forum!

What experience have you guys had with the new .co domain name, it was supposed to be the new big thing the NEW .COM!!!

Yes they were very expensive, but prices have come down, had anyone achieved good rankings with a .co domain name??

Regards pete

If you mean .co.uk and If you're going to deal in the UK, it would be best to have a .co.uk domain

IMO, every domain extension has its own purpose to feed specific websites. In the starting only three domain extension were released, .com which was used only by the commercial sites, .org domains were used by the non-profit organizations and .net were built for companies offering internet services. However, due to heavy demands .com domains are used by people to target worldwide audience. The extension should depend on the purpose as well as the country audience you want to target. As suggested by the "garlex" one should use an extension most relevant to their target audience.

As far as SEO n ranking etc goes, it shouldnt make a difference to bots etc. But people will probably search for yourdomain.co.uk or .com rather than .co, potentialy sending your 'clicks' elsewhere.

Personally, I'd stick to the .co.uk and .com for now unless, as Esvelte Digital Media said, you do something clever with it.

I'd tend to agree with this.

Interesting article here on the subject: Do different TLD's affect SEO

Back