CMS advice....

lauralil

I do a bit of web design and would like to start looking into incorporating CMS into my designs. Is this something I could tackle myself or should I just outsource it?

Laura

Hi Laura,

We have just produced an e-commerce site for one of our clients using Magento. You will need knowledge of programming for certain aspects of it and it can be tricky in places but it is very good.

If you are looking for non e-commerce, then we have also used Drupal which has done a great job for us and our clients like using it to content manage sites themselves.

Again, with these things, it takes a bit of know-how to set them up but after that, they are pretty intuitive to use.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to outsource any web development work. We would be glad to help you.

Regards
Dave

Outsourcing can often be the simplest form. Lighthouse Design & Marketing can provide a bespoke white label package. Simply send any html layout and we LDM will bolt on the CMS package to the site.

If you would like to try the demo site just send me a PM

Cheers

Andy
www.lighthousedm.co.uk

Hi Laura

Depending on how complex you need it to be you have several options... WordPress is amazingly easy to use for a start. If you get a theme which is solidly built, you can alter the css and make it suite your needs very easily!

For simple pages where your client would simply like to log on and amend text and images etc, you can look into services like Cushy CMS which is extremely simple to use, but relies on 3rd party servers, or look into CMS from Scratch, which is very easy to set-up and doesn't require any database resources. I've written a little article about CMS from Scratch on my blog if you want to have a look. Though I will mention that the last version I've used that is relatively bug free is 1.2.1, not 1.9.2 or 1.9.3 so I'd suggest you look at that earlier version.

Also, I agree with Dave regarding e-commerce - Magento seems very capable and is a rising star in that category.

Hope that helped!

/Doug

Depends really on how technical you are, but to be honest it's probably easier to outsource, we sometimes white label for other designers, so feel free to give us a shout if you need any help.

Back