Cloud Storage?

NeonThunder

So im purchasing another mac in the new year and i was thinking of taking my existing iMac home with me. Only thing is i want to be able to access files on both no matter where i am. Also if i couldn't make it to the studio for some reason at least i could work from home without having to travel everywhere with an external HD.

I had thought about getting apples Airport extreme / HD which has 2TB of memory and would back up both iMac's via Time machine which would be excellent but its £249

My other thoughts where could storage but I'm not sure what is the securest as for storing client details and work. At least i know if i've got them stored on something psychical then I'm covered aren't i? Only thing is the internet is needed to access these and if that isn't working its no good
So any thoughts on what would be the best option?

Something like Google Drive might be useful to you. It gives you 15GB free online storage (iCloud only offers 5GB free) so you could use it for the projects you're currently working on (unless you're doing massive 3D renders or something) and the files sync to a folder on your Mac. If the internet drops out for some reason you've still got the file on your mac to work with.

Jimlad said:
Something like Google Drive might be useful to you. It gives you 15GB free online storage (iCloud only offers 5GB free) so you could use it for the projects you're currently working on (unless you're doing massive 3D renders or something) and the files sync to a folder on your Mac. If the internet drops out for some reason you've still got the file on your mac to work with.
I had thought about that. I've actually got 65GB free with google for 2years!! :D hehe got 50GB extra when i got my HTC! might use that then and see how i go on since its not costing me anything. Just hope its secure thats all, saying that though is anything these days?

buy a nas, plug into network, set up remote vpn/ftp (or use supplied software in some cases) to your home network... job done, no additional expense after purchase and (arguably) more secure and definitely more private :)

so its basically like apples time airport express with HD?

There's a maplin down the road might go and bug them in abit

yes and no, I'm not fully up on all the features of the airport express with HD. I use a synology (they have a demo of the os/features on there too) and I wouldn't buy from maplins, they're usually expensive for this type of thing.

As suggested, I have used google plus. 15GB but I just created an email per project. For example: alexproject01 at gmail - so you can do as many 01 02 03 etc - same password for each one and keeps everything tidy. I guess you could even have 1 email that connects them all together... just an idea. All free ;)

I am following this because I eventually want to set up a server that I can access anywhere so I don't need to drag my harddrive with me.

Thinking along the same lines, looking at 2 bay NAS drive with say, 2 x 2TB HDD would be a good start. Can get my work on there but also safe storage of the family photos and all my music etc. not just for my mac buy my wife's laptop and kids devices etc.

With the added bonus of being able to access it remotely. I looked at Dropbox pro, but for the ongoing cost thought my own expandable hardware would be a better investment.

But with regards to actually knowing what to purchase and how to set up and install is beyond me, tbh I'm not that keen on technology (half the reason I drive a 28 year old car) but I think actually technology hates me more!

When I got into this game it was pen and ink on a drawing board and I often wish that was still the case.

any help, advice, guidance, recommendations..... would be gratefully received.

When I started we just used to bang two stones together whilst making grunting noises.

No school like the old school.

You had stones!? You were lucky. When I were a lad we just had to clap and be grateful we had hands to do so.

We didn't have hands back then hence the rocks.

We'd knock them together in the hope that passing gentry may give us a bowl of warm gravel to eat or even spit or urinate on us to warm our stumps.

Back