Cloud Storage

T

Tony Hardy

Who uses it? For what? And what system do you use?

I've only just started using Dropbox as a means of having my accounts and my latest project with me wherever I go.

I've only got the basic 2gb free account for the minute.

What experiences has anybody else had with Cloud Storage?

I've got:
25GB on skydrive (+7GB if I want on a second login) on hotmail - Supports the biggest file sizes iirc
50GB on box - free with hp touchpad - I'd argue the best web interface, just
5GB google drive - best integration with android on phone/nexus 7
2GB dropbox - it's the most cross platform so it's worth having just in case.
Home NAS which I can ftp or hopefully vpn into (new and untested) - the geeky approach to cloud storage lol
Google Music - will be full (yes 20,000 songs) when I sort it all out lol
Technically my webhosting has webdav too so I could use that if I wanted to....
What do I use... my NAS, skydrive and Google drive although neither skydrive or google drive use their apps. I use gladinet (windows) to map the remote storage as a drive on my pc so I can drag and drop without having to duplicate stuff a second time on each of my pc's. As to how much I use it... not that much if I'm honest, nas sees the most use as it's 'mine' and arguably more secure which is good for business storage. I do store things like fonts, things I might forget to backup before restore etc on skydrive which don't have any privacy concerns though.
Box very rarely gets used, I tried mapping a drive letter to it, which worked but it never automatically logged in and to be honest I just never seem to use it... same with dropbox although it is installed on my phone/tablet, like box, skydrive and google drive
Used to have ms mesh (remote desktop) installed but that's no longer being supported sadly so hoping the vpn I've set up will allow me to do remote network to home pc's if needed (rarely).

That's a lot of storage haha! I've never considered using a home server like. Got a 500GB hard drive wired up a PS3 and that's as adventurous as I get!

it's pretty easy to set up for the web if you're on a fixed ip like I am. You literally just set your router to redirect/open the required ports to the internal ip address and the rest is on the software side like normal ftp server (passwords/usernames etc)
The synology one I have can do mail server, web hosting and ftp duties if I wanted to.

Just uploading to CrashPlan as a back up option now to see how it works. Back up 1 computer with unlimited data for £3ish pm.DropBox for syncing between devices. 6gb for free Drive for work stuff. 106gb for about £4 pm.But depending on how Mega pans out I might move it over to there as the they alleged prices look fairly reasonable. If the every get the site back up As for those who find 50GB isn’t enough for their needs, Mega expects to offer three “Pro” tiers initially. €9.99 ($13) gets you 500GB, €19.99 ($27) gets you 2TB, and €29.99 ($40) gets you 4TB. Bandwidth for each package comes in at 1TB, 4TB, and 8TB per month, respectively.

Wow, things get a lot more complicated than Dropbox don't they? :)

I used Dropbox quite a lot during my third year of Uni when working on my graduate films. It was really handy to share scripts/rough cuts/music ideas with the production crew. Although our composer did accidentally delete everything from it once...

Matt Harle said:
Although our composer did accidentally delete everything from it once...
That's fairly irritating. I guess if you only use it as a backup and not your main storage, it wouldn't have been hard to recover?

Tony Hardy said:
That's fairly irritating. I guess if you only use it as a backup and not your main storage, it wouldn't have been hard to recover?
Yeah, we had everything backed up all over the place, but it was just annoying. He claimed he was trying to copy and paste the contents onto his computer, but somehow did a cut and paste instead.

Matt Harle said:
Yeah, we had everything backed up all over the place, but it was just annoying. He claimed he was trying to copy and paste the contents onto his computer, but somehow did a cut and paste instead.
Then surely all he had to do was copy it all back? Think he might have been telling porkies.

Tony Hardy said:
Then surely all he had to do was copy it all back? Think he might have been telling porkies.
I fixed it by the time we figured out he did it. We logged on one morning, and everything was gone. I asked the other two members of the crew if they did anything, and they said no. We guessed that it must've just somehow glitched itself, so I uploaded everything again. It wasn't till we were discussing it later that day on Twitter that the composer chimed in to say he did it. Could've said something before, but never mind...

I have 107GB on my SkyDrive and 50gb on the Adobe cloud. They both integrate with the OS quite well but SkyDrive is currently lacking in that files opened in your SkyDrive folder, wont reference other files in that folder. For example, if I'm working with InDesign, I can open the main file but the document won't find all the images that are within the same folder. Also it should be noted that SkyDrive doesn't allow single files that are larger than 2GB which could be an issue for some users. The Adobe cloud works a lot better but the space is a little limited.
I believe Google has the cheapest storage upgrades but I was put off when I read that they had t&c's that gave ownership to them for anything you uploaded.

wac said:
I believe Google has the cheapest storage upgrades but I was put off when I read that they had t&c's that gave ownership to them for anything you uploaded.
That's fairly cheeky of them isn't it? Like a NDA. Haha!

From the dropbox site.Dropbox is like a time machine. It keeps snapshots of every change in your Dropbox folder over the last 30 days (or longer with the Packrat feature). So even if you saved a bad change, or if the file has been damaged or deleted, you can restore the file to an older version with only a few clicks.Idiot proof.

wac said:
I believe Google has the cheapest storage
Actually that would be MEGA, the new megaupload from Kim Dotcom (real name, legally changed), it's also supposedly the most secure due to the encryption it uses.... it's just the 'would you risk it' factor.
And I don't think a limit to 2gb file sizes is an issue for most of us... it would take me somewhere in the region of 5.5 hours to upload that....

Google have to apply those T&C in order for you to be able to use it properly.From Google:As our Terms of Service make clear, "what belongs to you stays yours." You own your files and control their sharing, plain and simple. Our Terms of Service enable us to give you the services you want — so if you decide to share a document with someone, or open it on a different device, you can.[url="http://mobile.theverge.com/20...ve-terms-privacy-data-skydrive-dropbox-icloud[/URL]Its quite an interesting read.

Levi said:
Actually that would be MEGA, the new megaupload from Kim Dotcom (real name, legally changed), it's also supposedly the most secure due to the encryption it uses.... it's just the 'would you risk it' factor.
And I don't think a limit to 2gb file sizes is an issue for most of us... it would take me somewhere in the region of 5.5 hours to upload that....
I wouldn't risk it. I bet the FBI is already trying to think of a way to pull it.

the thing is MEGA is basically no different to dropbox but with added encryption for your storage.... so the FBI would have a hard time getting it pulled without having to pull dropbox too

Back