Client wants a customisable pitch template they can edit and tweak

JohnLees170

Hi there,

Just wanted some general advice really. My potential client pitches their services for contracts to their potential clients and they are asking me to provide them with a design template that they can edit and tailor to each pitch/client. They don't have indesign. I thought powerpoint might be the answer, however I don't have much experience designing for powerpoint, it looks a bit painful? The other option I thought was maybe an editable PDF? I can design the template no problem, but its just getting it to them in a format they can customise and edit easily.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

InDesign can be purchased on a monthly licence for very little.

They could easily buy a monthly subscription for indesign and pass the cost on to clients by spreading out the payment amongst them.

In my experience, there is no substitute for the real thing. Either they get the software for editing the files or they get nothing.

A PDF would be one way and I don't see anything wrong with that if they are just changing areas of text.

In reality they will suffer layout issues and technical challenges with PDF or with InDesign - powerpoint templates are not a bad option but again they could struggle with technical things.

I'd suggest the monthly subscription to InDesign.

But ultimately it would best if you took on any and all changes for clients - in the end it saves you time, saves them time and money, and provides a more professional look overall.

I guarantee no matter what template you give them it will be made a mess of in seconds.

I guarantee no matter what template you give them it will be made a mess of in seconds.

Never a truer word...

Pitching for contracts is largely a technical exercise and, in that respect, a properly high level of design probably isn't required. Good design, however, can be incorporated into something like MS Word, which I suspect is the right tool for the job here.

I expect we all do; every template I create includes simple instructions which do all they can to limit any requirement for expertise but I still shudder when I see what people do with them. I can only imagine, therefore, what people would make of an ID or PDF template...

Hi there,

Thanks for your responses, very helpful. I did say to the client that I would tweak the template for each of their clients, but they don't want it to be an ongoing cost. But maybe I'll offer them a set fee with x amount of amends? Or charge an additional nominal fee for each amend?

I'd charge per quarter - and total the time spent.

Rather than individual charges. Then you can just invoice every 3 months based on work done.

Keeps them sweet and money in your pocket.

But do offer several template ideas in PDF/word/powerpoint as a tester - they'll see how impractical it is.

Hi there,

Thanks for your responses, very helpful. I did say to the client that I would tweak the template for each of their clients, but they don't want it to be an ongoing cost. But maybe I'll offer them a set fee with x amount of amends? Or charge an additional nominal fee for each amend?

If they don't want the ongoing cost, I don't think you should be pushing for it. As has been said, they very likely will run into issues stemming from the skills of the end user so I'd be clear upfront about the likelihood of that and make yourself available at an hourly rate if they require any additional support.

Back