Client supplied logo - Copyright

Getting back to the original question, sometimes it's obvious because the word "iStock" is stamped across an image but outside of this example you're right! It is a complete ball ache asking each client if they're the owner of each image or file they supply. I gave up asking a while ago and instead found it easier to add a line to proposals and invoices stating that by accepting a proposal or making a deposit payment they are accepting my terms and conditions (including a link to my online ts&cs). Then within my terms and conditions I added add a line stating that the customer assumes all liability for checking copyright ownership when supplying files.

Do they read my Ts&Cs? Probably not. However they've agreed to them so any breach of copyright law is on them wether they like it or not.

Thanks everyone for your input, I think it’s a real eye opener for all of us in the industry regarding copyright. Going forward I’m going to update my t&c both on all correspondence and my website.

A good friend of mine left acompany that he worked for to start up on his own and due to a lot of the customer liking how he delt with them a lot of people followed him when he left.

The problem he has started getting is the old company threatening to take legal action if he uses any logos that my have been created whilst he worked at the other company. Even if the client has the files to supply.

Personally for his situation, customers should be able to pick and choose where they have there work produced and should be held to ransom with there logo/design.

This must be a difficult situation as I can imagine he doesn’t want to turn away work but may be a little concerned.

Thanks everyone for your input, I think it’s a real eye opener for all of us in the industry regarding copyright. Going forward I’m going to update my t&c both on all correspondence and my website.

A good friend of mine left acompany that he worked for to start up on his own and due to a lot of the customer liking how he delt with them a lot of people followed him when he left.

The problem he has started getting is the old company threatening to take legal action if he uses any logos that my have been created whilst he worked at the other company. Even if the client has the files to supply.

Personally for his situation, customers should be able to pick and choose where they have there work produced and should be held to ransom with there logo/design.

This must be a difficult situation as I can imagine he doesn’t want to turn away work but may be a little concerned.

It sounds like your friends issues were based on sour grapes and the place he left just trying to make life difficult for him/her.

If the company owned the rights to any media being used then this is an issue for them and the client to resolve.
I doubt that this would mean they have a say in who the client chooses to work with the logos on other things.
They may want a further fee for its usage which I'd consider a bit devious all considering.

Thing is, if they started to take this stance with all of their clients then I'd doubt they'd be in business very long.
Sounds like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

PS. If you or your friend has any car or mechanic issues then feel free to post them here. ;)

Back