Click Here?

wac

When we're creating websites, should we still be making links that say Click Here ?

It's so common and ubiquitous but it doesn't really have the relevancy it used to. Firstly, many mouses don't actually make a clicking sound now but more importantly, so much browsing is now done on touch screen devices.

I've been experimenting with Press Here but something doesn't look quite right about it.

We say "let's go and watch a film" or "I went on the bumper cars" despite the fact that very few movies are actually shot on film now and bumper cars have been firmly re-branded as Dodgems' so should Click Here be maintained as an institution if not an accurate phrase?

I watched a good 'video' the other night.

No. An actual video on a VCR.

Doesn't really help but thought I'd just say.

I guess people just get use to what becomes a term for something like "Hoover", "Tanoy" and such.
I think it's hard to buck what's become accepted as the norm as with the web people get used to visually interpreting things and what they do.

Kinda like re-inventing the wheel so I'd say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Doesn't it really depend on context but I still class 'touching' on a touchscreen as a click, it's just using a different item as the pointer

You should never write: Click here, as the anchor text.

1) Bad for SEO
2) Doesn't really explain why I should
3) Bad design

1) Search engines use the anchor text and other concepts such as: Co-occurance and Co-Citation (along with thousands of other factors) when determining rankings. So you want everything to sing from the same hymn sheet.

2) Doesn't give the user to click. Longer link text tends to have a higher CTR due to explaining to the user why they should invest time in actually clicking.

3) If you have to say click here to make it obvious it is a clickable link, then the element needs rethinking from a design point of view, as it is not intuitive as it needs to be. Consequently, this will see less users completing the micro action that you want them to complete thus less conversions overall. :)

Example 1:
Click here to view this product

Waste of space, just shorten it to:
View this product

Example 2:
Our window cleaning service, offers a streak free solution to solve your dirty windows depression. Click here to find out how.

Call - or enquire - today, for a free no obligation quote, by clicking here.

Altered to:
Our window cleaning service, offers a streak free solution to solve your dirty windows depression.

Call - or enquire - today, for a free no obligation quote.

Which is better to you? :)

Jaz

Back