Clarification about free stock image

@GCarlD

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've used stock imagery (many years in fact!), but I came across a couple free stock image sites. In the past I've used sites like Bigstock and iStock and paid for whatever I need but on this rare occasion, due to me doing a quick job as a favour for....(I can't bring myself to say it....) *cough* FREE *cough* I didn't want to spend any of my own money that I may or may not get back. The image that is required is for t-shirt designs to be sold at festivals and what not, to which we will spilt the profits 50-50.

I would like some clarification from you guys about the use of this image for t-shirt sales. I don't think it matters but I have have vastly altered the image, and pretty much turned it into a silhouette with only minor details left in parts. The image license is 'Creative Commons Attribution' which allows me to "Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially." Now that all sounds perfect but I am a little confused with this quote on the FAQ:

"Can I use graphics downloaded for commercial projects?"

"Yes, most of the time, but you are not allowed to sell them. For example, you may create a website design using free elements and use that website to sell products, services – generate income. However, it would be a violation of license rules to sell that design to others."

I understand that part, it all sound perfectly reasonable but then it goes on to say:

"It is also forbidden to sell modifications of free vectors or print them on an item and then sell it without an agreement of the original author. Always contact the author for more detailed information on the usage conditions of licensed material."

This is where questions marks start floating above my head. I can't get in contact with the author, as I can only assume he/she has chosen to remain anonymous, due to no name, link or contact details being left.

I feel I am pretty safe to use this image in the way I intend, as I think the bit about being forbidden to print them on an item and sell them, means I cannot just take the original image as it is, print it and sell it, as that would be similar to selling the file onto someone else which is also forbidden.

What do you guys think?

- Not a lawyer -

But the usage rights say that you can "Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format. Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially."

It seems perfectly logical that it's safe to use. Regardless as to an answer in the FAQ. Go by the license.

Ha ha - yeh well you learn your lessons on forums over the years ha ha.

I might change it up a bit so it's not so much about being a lawyer.

"I'm not an authority on the issues...but"

"I could be wrong, and if someone can correct me..."

Surely it should be, "I'm not a solicitor" as we're in the UK. With Lawyer I think of the US.

I tried looking up the difference between lawyer, solicitor, barrister and attorney and now my brain hurts.

Back