Church Logo

hi guys,

Im still plodding on with this church logo!

As its more of a personal project as a favour theres no strict deadline, so I work on it as and when I get a spare few hours (which isnt very often!) Ive decided to set myself a deadline to improve my work flow so Im aiming to get this sorted within the next 2 weeks.

After numerous options, doodles, experiments and failed concepts Ive arrived back at the 'b' in a leaf idea. The church's mission statement is centred on growth, both in growing as a church in terms of size and helping people to grow as people, so the leaf idea is born out of that concept.

I originally struggled to find a place for the word 'church' to sit. It has to be included somewhere, (the name is too generic without it) but it always looked like it was just tagged on to the end of the logo. The swoosh aims to add some movement as well as give a space for the 'church' to sit in.

Im not sure about the colours, I want it to be modern & friendly. The leaf kinda has to be green so Ive been playing with colours that compliment that. Im trying to avoid the logo looking like it says 'ethel' so Ive used lighter colours in an effort to help the eye flow from the 'b' into the 'ethel'

Ive shown it below as a logo, plus the logo with strapline, then a white and black out version as well as a mini portrait version that is a derivative of the master logo.

I would really appreciate any crit on all aspects of the logo, I feel like Im so close to this project now that I cant see the wood for the trees!

8199211023_6b44458a6e_k.jpg

on the swoop under 'ethel' how does it look in green, it seems a little disjointed in the 'grey/brown' colour. Also think it's a bit too pointy by the leaf, maybe needs to be a little fatter and I'd remove the drop shadow on the coloured one it looks out of place to me

Have to say I prefer the 'look' of the black and white one but when you get the colour it loses some of it's 'punch' which I think for me is down to the 2 extra green 'curls' on the edge of the leaf

Thanks for the quick reply Levi.

I added the shadows and curls to the leaf in an effort to add some 'punch' as it was looking a little wishy washy before that. The grey/brown colour may need some tweaking, I agree.

I was concious that I needed colours to match the green leaf, so blues/reds/oranges etc seemed to clash and werent in keeping with the look I was going for. To be honest, Im fairly happy with the design, but Ive definitely been struggling with the colour palette. Ive tried using Dribbles colour search to find contrasting or complimentary colours. Ive also used Adobe Kuler but nothing seems to hit the spot!

Personally, I think the 'swoosh' below doesn't work- I like the look of the font and 'b' in the leaf icon. I much prefer the black and white ones over the coloured ones, probably because it's not finished as you said about the colours, which maybe would look better being slightly brighter/more contrasting... but other than that it's pretty good!

Thanks for that reply Alex, sorry it took me so long to respond. Ive been playing around with the swoosh, trying to simplify things to their most minimal point. This is where Im at at the moment, Id appreciate any comments!
Ive also tweaked the colours in an effort to make them look stronger and more of a solid unit, again trying to keep things as simple as possible, using as little colour as possible!
Attached are 4 versions:

1. Standard Logo
2. Logo with mission statement
3. White out logo
4. Single colour Black logo

8247842174_7f4a5876b6_z.jpg

Final tweaks to the logo, plus a mug desgin, which was part of the brief.

I really would love some feedback!

8250364026_54055b2dae_z.jpg

8250365334_9c56885108_z.jpg

1. Without the swoosh?
2. Without the light and dark areas on the leaf?
3. Without both of these?
4. Strap line within the logo grid? Or if it is too small two lines?

Apart from the swoosh I do much prefer the black logo- not 100% on the colours. Did they specify within the brief? It does work, but maybe something with slightly more contrast? Just looks slightly bland (in terms of colours) personally. Looking good overall!

Back