• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Christmas Gift Ideas

davewill

Come on then, someone has to kick things off, what does everyone want for Christmas?

I am in the fortunate position where I dont need anything so Im trying to think of some things I would like (books,films,equipment). I really want to get into web design but I have no clue where to start so if anyone could recommend any books/online tutorials I could ask for then that would be excellent. My knowledge level is non existent!

What is on everyone elses Christmas list?

Levi

Staff member
Christmas List (well things I want really)

Nexus S (or whatever it's called) if it's the rumoured dual core cpu, they just need to release the thing
Asus EP121 slate/laptop but thats not out till January :(
Sonos Setup
Draytek 802.11n SoHo Router and Access Point
Loads of Anime and Movies
Nendoroids
Kokeshi
and loads of Pocky :)
Loads more stuff but that will do for here, although I'm not really expecting any for Christmas as it's more about spending time with your family :)

Levi

Staff member
davewill said:
What is a Pocky if you dont mind me asking chaps?
Pocky is yummy pretzel/biscuit style sticks with 4/5 covered in chocolate. The closest thing we have in the UK is mikado but they taste slightly different, even though they're produced under license

davewill

Anyone read 'Things I have learned in my life so far' by stefan sagmeister?
Or
How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer by Debbie Millman?

I'm thinking of asking for some design books for Christmas but I need help! They are not cheap so don't want people to waste their money on crap!

Advice on decent books for graphic designers anyone?

how to be a graphic designer without losing your soul - really love it!
no more rules: graphic design and postmodernism - nice coffee table book

I bought Stefan Sagmeisters book a few months ago, had wanted it for absolutely ages!

Still haven't read it! Ha :(

I saw this in a recent Computer Arts issue that I like the look of, I love other peoples sketchbooks and can spend ages in uni looking through everyone elses, I find it fascinating to see how other people work! So that's definitely on my list for christmas!

Also when it comes to buying books I like to look through them to get an idea of how good it is/isn't, so just pop into the bookshop and have a flick through. Or see if Google books has a preview of the book you're after - similarly sometimes Amazon offer a "look inside" option.