Checking Your SERP

T

Tony Hardy

Hi all,

I rank well for Design Agency Newcastle, Newcastle Design Agency etc etc.
As a byproduct I've also started ranking for graphic design agency. However, that appears to vary depending on location. I know Google are all over the place at the minute with the localisation they've been implementing.
In Newcastle I rank top for graphic design agency, one of my friends in London says I rank bottom of the first page for the same term. Squiddy says I'm on page 2 somewhere.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can find out where I rank for certain terms in certain locations?

Tony

Sorry, I don't really know.
Just as a heads up:
I am based in Gatwick, and a quick google for 'Design Agency Newcastle' found that you are the second result on the first page, down here in the south.

Can you do me a search for "Graphic Design Agency" and let me know where I am? :)

13th for me. //Edit- that is still on my first page, I have it set to 20 iirc.
But then you are a fairly long way from me with you being up north and all lol, I'm in Norfolk.
Google search now takes into consideration where you are, what you've searched for, google now posts, what's in your emails (for google now panels) along with a lot of other 'personal' items to improve the search for you or should I say improve the adverts it serves you lol. Doesn't exactly explain why my search is worse than before though lol
As to checking based on other locations, it's easy, set your location somewhere else. Go into google maps, it should say your location, click on teh bit saying it's wrong and you should be able to change it.

You're bottom of page one graphic design agency, if you clear your cache and set Google to search UK in the custom search feature, that is your position. I'm in Accrington.

Cheers lads. I'll give that a whirl. I set Firefox up to a Google bookmark that searches without localisation, and that was bringing me up top of the second page.

I think Google have well and truly damaged their algorithms by bringing in the local thing. I really don't like it.

Tony Hardy said:
I think Google have well and truly damaged their algorithms by bringing in the local thing. I really don't like it.
How exactly, it's likely a person is going to pick someone local over someone who might not even be in the UK, as some of my old search listings lol
Oh and I forgot, businesses on google maps likely has a higher chance of being near the top for you if you have a 'local' search

Yeah, I just don't like it. I can see why it works for people, but when trying to get your own site to rank across the world, it's not helpful ;)

There are many tools providing you ranking stats but none of them is reliable. Also, forums users are served results by different Google datacenters, so they aren't that perfect either. I prefer to look my keywords in search engine itself by deleting the cahe and using "&gl=countrycode&" in the url.

I've just checked my SERP and I think I've found a lump. Should I call a doctor?
BTW. What's a SERP?

I've always read it as ranking position haha :) but you're completely right :)

The Simulator said:
I know longer trust Google to be consistent with anything.
don't worry it will all be changing again soon... eu regulators have got involved due to the lesser search engines moaning and they need to change stuff to keep them happy....

Levi said:
don't worry it will all be changing again soon... eu regulators have got involved due to the lesser search engines moaning and they need to change stuff to keep them happy....
I'm giving up trying to please them. I currently rank pretty well for
uk logo design
logo design uk
logo desgner uk
uk logo designer
logo designer
logo design
Just did a search on Bing. I'm nowhere. Don't understand why, I also have no idea how I even got that high on Google either!

I don't know much about SEO but if you google "web mascot" my stuff is number one in web and images.

Jus' sayin like. ;D

Back