Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap Laptop (PC)?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Greg, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Greg

Greg Active Member

Evening all,

Does anyone have any recommendations on which brand to go with for a cheap PC laptop? It's not for me, for the girlfriend, said I'd ask on here for a second opinion. We found a pretty decent spec Dell, heard pretty good things of Dell apart from their support. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Greg

PS- This doesn't need to become a PC Vs. Mac thread :p

2. tim

tim Senior Member

netbook or what?

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

dell laptops aren't actually that bad (I'm not a fan of the desktops) in my experience although the business ones seem to have better batterylife at the expense of 'looks'.

Which one were you looking at.

4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Just standard, and she's just using it for basic stuff, surfing the interweb, Office, Photos, that kind of thing. Was looking at the Inspiron1500, spec as follows;
    £350 incl VAT & Delivery

5. Levi

I wouldn't if you want more than about an 1 and a half batterylife, the celeron lacks alot of the speedstep features of the core2duo and the battery (assuming its the 4 cell) is really small capacity.

What's it going to be used for as it will be fine for things like internet, word processing etc as long as you have a socket near by

6. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool thanks Levi and yeah just for at home use really so should be fine :)
    Greg

7. charles

charles Senior Member

sounds like a good deal.

8. Levi

I will say one thing Greg, if you can stretch the budget and would prefer to be able to use the device for more than an hour and a half away from the mains I'd say look at the 13z/15z (the top spec 15z is called 1570 at pcworld where they also have one of the US only 14z models branded as the 1470), it's lacking a little in cpu power (should be fine for general home use though) but it makes up for it with battery life, alternatively consider one of the dell business laptops such as the vostro's as they will give you better battery life too.

9. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

my girlfriend has an inspiron, not a bad little machine, feels a bit clunky, but is pretty high spec for the money. And yes their customer support is rubbish! There is a story about a replacement keyboard that I wont go into, because I have work to do, but they wern't very good at all.

10. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

I picked a G4 Powerbook 12" recon for my daughter.
    Running Leopard. Great little machine under £300.
    She wanted a Dell but daddy say no no no.

11. charles

charles Senior Member

I was just looking at those. does apples OS allow faster speeds with slower processors or summin as windows with a processor around 1ghz would be slow as hell...

12. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

It's not bad 1.3ghz plenty of RAM. Great for internet/music/movies and the like.
    Will stuggle with CS4 however.

13. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

That dell spec and price is very decent...is £350 is what you are wanting to spend?

14. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

The girlfriend has a 1500 Dell and other than needing a format now runs really well.
    Avoid HP & Compaq standard models (non business) as they are just thrown together really badly, lots of heating issues.
    Toshiba are pretty awesome (what I'm using) but might have a bit bigger price tag (£400 or so)

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

Cool thanks for advice guys, all ordered now, and yes around £350 was the budget Glen, so should do the job for the usage it will get :)