Changing job advice

Nuvola

Hi can anyone offer any advice on this...feeling a little lost

I’m 6 months into a new job, admittedly I don’t really like the type of design the company is involved with, it can be a bit dull on the other side people I work with are beyond good, the owner is always encouraging and praising everyone and the overall culture is amazing, with training for new skills available too.
I’ve been offered a new job from a company I interviewed with a year ago. The design work will be more interesting but the company is very corporate and it might be just a feeling, but I worry I might be just a number there and the culture won’t be as good. I will probably have to work more time, although the salary is slightly better.

What’s your general experience? How much the work you do as a designer affect your overall satisfaction in a job compared to the people you work with? I know is very subjective but as I said I feel a little lost so would be helpful if anyone as any advice from past experience...

Thanks

You interviewed for a job a year ago, and they hired someone else. That person hasn't worked out, now they are coming back to you, which shows a few things, but mainly, I feel like this company will eat up people and let them go sooner rather than later.

There are other sides to it too, perhaps that other person left of their own accord. If so, ask the company for the last person's details so you can ask them directly what they thought of working there. If they have nothing to hide they will pass on the details.

If they don't, then what are they afraid of you finding out?

I'd be very clear that you are interested in working there, but bring up the things about "training for new skills", if they offer this too. If you're working more hours are there more perks, like an extra day off, or a half day after a busy and productive week etc.

Do they have a pension scheme, do they have medical support, how many holidays per year, are you expected to keep holidays to cover things like Christmas holidays?

It always worries me when a company comes back to me after rejecting me the first time... it screams amateurish and it screams that the people don't last long there.

You may be giving up a really good job to go somewhere and be there a year and find yourself without a job.

Another thing you could do is approach your current employer, and bring up your concerns - you are there for 6 months, so you should really be assessed at this stage. Ask for a meeting to discuss your progress in the company. Bring up the interview you were at a year ago, let them know they have been on to offer you a role and you want assurances from them that it's the right place for you to be.

If it's a small salary increase then ask them that in a years time your salary to be reviewed, with a yearly review of your progress and how you're getting on to the point where your salary is reviewed and increased based on performance.

This will show them that you're interested in working there - typically it would be normal enough to ask for a review every year for 4 years to the view of a 2-5% raise depending on performance.

With a 4 year review in place, it would show you want to be there, with a salary incentive it shows that you're willing to work hard to hit that 5% increase each year over the next 4 years. Gives you both something to work towards.

You don't have to say any of the above - my point is - it's good to talk to your current employer and also talk to the employer that is wanting you - find out the reasons they want you, what happened from a year ago, and find out from your current employer where you're going in the company and agree on a strategy where you can improve and move up the ladder.

If so, ask the company for the last person's details so you can ask them directly what they thought of working there. If they have nothing to hide they will pass on the details.
That's probably a breach of their data protection policy. The employer would likey need/want to get permission to pass those details on so I doubt you'd have any luck with that route. You could always try and find them on LinkedIn and speak to them directly though.

I don’t really like the type of design the company is involved with, it can be a bit dull
Sadly the vast, vast majority of work you'll do as designer are likely going to be dull. The smaller, dull jobs like coporate documents, presentations and marketing emails are what pays my bills. Even working in-house somewhere, the jobs can be dull. Not every client is happy for you to do some wild design, they often want something they feel comfprtable with (i.e. something similar to something else they've seen before). Agencies show their best, most creative work but really it's only a small part of what comes in from repeat clients.

Ultimitely it's up to you, if you're not happy where you are then consider changing. Personally I couldn't work in a large 'machine' of an agency. Staff are generally not appreicated as much as a smaller, more intimate studio and they have much larger overheads. The first sacrifice when things are bad financially is staff, meaning you're essentially expendable. Perhaps you could take the initiative and maybe try and bring in a client who needs the work you want to do?

Sorry I phrased that wrong.

Of course, it is a breach of data poilicies. But there are ways to contact them, or the company could ask that person to contact you directly.

My point was to get some sort of contact with them.

Thank you so much everyone, these are all so helpful!
I did think about contacting the guy who left on linked in...but I resisted as I thought it might look weird. Knowing other people would, it’s reassuring and probably a good move.

Back