CHALLENGE: Design something every day.

Kevin

As designers, we’re all trying to get better at what we do. We surf the Web daily for hours trying to find useful tips and tricks to enhance our design skills. But what if we spent less time surfing the Web looking for inspiration and more time creating and designing things?
Design Something Every Day! - Smashing Magazine

So I've seen the concept before of making something every day (there are other examples listed in the post), but I never really considered doing it myself. It does seem like an interesting idea though and I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me in this. I think in the end it will benefit you in a lot of ways.

So who's up for it? :up:

I've toyed with the idea of making a little character for my business and then 'dressing' him/her up every week/month and then using it as a blog post type affair. I might still do it but it's not at the top of my list :)

If I was even semi good at graphic design or using photoshop/illustrator then I would definitely be game for this.
Can we bring web design into this?

HippySunshine said:
If I was even semi good at graphic design or using photoshop/illustrator then I would definitely be game for this.
Can we bring web design into this?

Can't see why not, or use it as an opportunity to enhance or flex your graphic design skills/learnings. I saw the post on smashing and I may try to do 1 a week or something of the same ilk, as I love the idea but time is of the essence. I've also considered using such an exercise to get back into sketching, but doing a sketch a day ... but as with all things, I'll see if I actually get round to doing it :p

I'd say once a week, one a day would be difficult to fit in with work. Was there something called thingaweek floating around twitter?

that sounds really good, a really nice way to develop design skills.
I dont know if could do it everyday tho.
Might have to give this a go!

Tom Judd did a sketch a day for a year check here! Pretty cool illustration work

Sorry i've just realised it mentions Tom in that link Onartis!

I've just had an idea... we could get one of those 'word of the day calenders' and every week pick a word and everyone has to use that one word and create something from that word. Like how they perceive it. It could be anything from a simple sketch; to a photograph; to an animation! Anything creative goes!

allyally2k said:
I've just had an idea... we could get one of those 'word of the day calenders' and every week pick a word and everyone has to use that one word and create something from that word. Like how they perceive it. It could be anything from a simple sketch; to a photograph; to an animation! Anything creative goes!

ooh that's a neat idea

allyally2k said:
Tom Judd did a sketch a day for a year check here! Pretty cool illustration work

Sorry i've just realised it mentions Tom in that link Onartis!

I totally forgot about Chow Hon Lam AKA Flying Mouse 365, one year, 365 tshirt designs!

Flying Mouse 365

And all of them are amazing, I followed it all over the shirt world, the guy is amazing!

on another board, they have a just started a 'stock mix up' someone picked 5 stock images (all from free stock sites) and then it is down to you to have some fun.

We could take it in turns to do something similar?

It'd be really cool to do something as a board rather than on our own, could get some advertising that way. Not competitions but our own take on things as a group. Once a week for example.

1-1.jpg

I will add the pics if you like, but this what I did, 45 to an hour well spent I think.

I agree with the group thing, might be good cos then we can motivate each other too! Add it all to our blogs, sites etc!

Back