Can someone please help me?

M

mackrickson

I am a web developer. I made a website that I absolutely love. And I use this beautiful blue color on it it (#007EFF), I used the same color to make my business cards and when I went to proof them it looks COMPLETELY wrong. I know it's something I am doing as I am not a print designer, but surely someone has to be able to help me get the same RGB hex color to print on my business cards.

hankscorpio

hankscorpio

Staff member
All cours have a gamut.

Hex are made up of 0-255 colours

RGB is made up of additive colours

CMYK is made up of subtractive colours

All these different colour models have a different gamut - that is that a lot of the colours that are created in hex/rgb cannot be created in CMYK - as they are out of gamut.

See the diagram below - certain colours cannot be replicated as they are out of gamut.

In printing, a lot of people rely on Pantone colours - as each printers would have a printed book of Pantones, as they are specially mixed inks for colour consistency.

If you got something printed using Pantone colours - and then next time got it printed CMYK - it's more than likely the colours will be varying.

In short - don't use HEX colours in print - as they are out of gamut with CMYK printing and the colours will shift.

Can someone please help me?, , Printing & Print Design Forum:

fisicx

fisicx

I am a web developer. I made a website that I absolutely love. And I use this beautiful blue color on it it (#007EFF).
Change the brightness, use a different monitor, change the position of the screen, ask 5 different people, use a range of browsers, look at it on your phone. Each time you alter the paramters the colour will look different. What you see is not what I see.

Wardy

Wardy

RGB blues are notoriously difficult to replicate in CMYK, specially on uncoated paper. Ask your Printer what they suggest.

Levi

Levi

Staff member
First question, is your screen accurately calibrated....

Now as said matching the colours isn't going to be easy because hex to rgb/cmyk nearly always has variation in tones but if your screen isn't calibrated and the printer is then they'll never be anywhere near the same colour.

M

mackrickson

All cours have a gamut.

Hex are made up of 0-255 colours

RGB is made up of additive colours

CMYK is made up of subtractive colours

All these different colour models have a different gamut - that is that a lot of the colours that are created in hex/rgb cannot be created in CMYK - as they are out of gamut.

See the diagram below - certain colours cannot be replicated as they are out of gamut Rufus MapQuest UpToDate

In printing, a lot of people rely on Pantone colours - as each printers would have a printed book of Pantones, as they are specially mixed inks for colour consistency.

If you got something printed using Pantone colours - and then next time got it printed CMYK - it's more than likely the colours will be varying.

In short - don't use HEX colours in print - as they are out of gamut with CMYK printing and the colours will shift.

View attachment 6395
thankyou!