Can clients see the difference?? :S

Ben Maud

I was reading some of the threads from ages ago, and one comment in particular caught my eye. The thread was talking about cheap designs done by people who think there graphic designers just because they have a computer and little knowledge of design. One of the members said, When you see the work the client receives you understand why it costs so little, but some companies cant see this.

My question is, if most graphic designers go to college and university to learn the intricacies and history of design, and how to produce good work etc, how relevant is this knowledge if the end client isn't up to speed on it all? I mean as long as a design looks pleasing to the eye for them, is there too much more they are going to be looking for?

Look forward to seeing the comments.

No, this is called free competition, and as long as there is free market the supply will be regulated by the demand, it is easy for anyone having a computer to start designing so as long as people can choose between regular design for £100 and something extraordinary for £500 they will go with £100 as there is no benefit for a regular Client to invest in something artistic.

I think the real value is in a designer working with a client to refine and perfect a brand image/logo. I'd imagine that a £50 logo is given to a client with a final 'there you go' rather than presenting a few ideas and then refining and developing a couple until the design is right.

Further to Corrosive's point, cheap designers provide a cheap product that 'looks right', where as professional/premium designers provide a professional/premium, bespoke service.

It's a little like buying a suit. Suits off the shelf in high street stores look the part and are cheaper (in price and quality) than those that are tailored to you perfectly. When I bought a suit, I bought a cheaper one for a number of reasons, such as my budget, and the fact that I wouldn't really benefit from an expensive, tailor-made one (it was for my girlfriends graduation, and I've not worn it since).

If however I'd required a suit because I was trying to close a lucrative business deal or something a la Alan Sugar, I certainly wouldn't turn up to a business meeting in a cheap, polyester jobby.

Some people are happy with a cheap design because they or their company isn't overly judged on how professional or prestigious they look (tradesmen for example, garages, etc), where as an exquisite 5 star-hotel or other premium service will have a greater need for professional design and will benefit more from it (or rather will potentially lose business by NOT having it).

I think the real value is in a designer working with a client to refine and perfect a brand image/logo. I'd imagine that a £50 logo is given to a client with a final 'there you go' rather than presenting a few ideas and then refining and developing a couple until the design is right.

Exactly - little thought, anything will do.

The suit metaphor is also good. The cheap suit might be OK but a good suit will make you feel great and look better.

The suit metaphor is a good one but can also apply to off-the-peg if the designer knows what they're doing: I needed a suit a few years ago and picked one up in the Paul Smith sale (massively discounted, I should add) and the difference between this and any other item of clothing I ever owned is beyond description (I don't have much call for a suit but it looks and feels so good that I'm occasionally tempted to crash funerals just to give it an airing).

I think the descriptions above are spot on. It depends on how the business owner/s perceive their company and what image they want to give off.

Back