Can anyone tell me..?

I think the level of appreciation for Graphic Design has lowered dramatically, outside of the design world.

As said above anyone with Adobe thinks they can design...or maybe that should be anyone with MS Paint!?.

Clients question design costs, or want work for nothing stating 'if we like you we may use you again for paid work'.....can we walk into Tesco and get our shopping for free and say 'if I like the taste I might come back and pay next time!'....

Not sure if that has just been in the last 5-10 years but the population of 'design' companies that can design a logo for 50p in 5mins has increased. We all know that's absolute rubbish but for a customer on a tight budget that sounds better than a real designers fee.

I have noticed that if people 'design' things themselves anything is acceptable (and good!).

There is a general downgrading of pricing in both design and print. Have our costs got any lower? No.

The internet does mean that people can get a 'logo' designed for pence... and are often given rubbish.

Internal graphic design departments have become design and print purchasers and project facilitators (greater use of outside suppliers / best supplier for each project).

Academically (and perhaps controversially) speaking, I get the feeling that Graphic Design is becoming the new Media Studies, i.e. a route into academia for the perhaps less-academically inclined with the associated appearance of creativity and modernity (I also understand from something I read online that research indicates a high level of dissatisfaction with GD courses and their ability to prepare graduates for the jobs market). Consequently, while turnover across the industry is in decline, there's a glut of would-be practitioners which, in turn, drives down both quality and value.

(I also understand from something I read online that research indicates a high level of dissatisfaction with GD courses and their ability to prepare graduates for the jobs market). Consequently, while turnover across the industry is in decline, there's a glut of would-be practitioners which, in turn, drives down both quality and value.

I would agree with this entirely I finished my course a year ago and the course on its own would never have been enough, there was massive gaps in my practical knowlege. I have had to do unpaid placements to get to a proffesional standard and ready myself for the proffessional world. In fact I am still doing this part time because web design was something we were never taught !?! and quiet frankly it's a must to have some knowlege. Having said that my tutor was brilliant just working under very pressured demands and tight bugets. I wonder, now the course cost a fortune, if things have changed?

Academically (and perhaps controversially) speaking, I get the feeling that Graphic Design is becoming the new Media Studies, i.e. a route into academia for the perhaps less-academically inclined with the associated appearance of creativity and modernity (I also understand from something I read online that research indicates a high level of dissatisfaction with GD courses and their ability to prepare graduates for the jobs market). Consequently, while turnover across the industry is in decline, there's a glut of would-be practitioners which, in turn, drives down both quality and value.

Well said Dave. There were people on my course that openly admitted to being on the design course because they wanted an easy life arranging pictures, words and pretty colours. :icon_hide:

Back