Can anyone recommend a hit counter?

lula

I know it's a bit naff and not always a good idea but my client wants one. Just a basic counter, not stats. Free obviously, and ideally not linked to anywhere, or at least subtly so if it has to be. I'm using Dreamweaver but guess that's not an issue... (showing my ignorance here). I've Googled it but there's so many to choose from I would appreciate some guidance from an expert! :confused:

Harry said:
Will your client really not listen?

agreed, its a "how unpopular am I" thing

used google analytics and let them see how unpopular they are in private....

Ha! They're lovely but just enthusiastic about wanting to let other visitors know how many others have visited. They're basically an oldie's poetry club, not selling anything, so they're not worried if the figures are low. I use statcounter myself but they don't have anyone willing or able to keep track of things that way. They just want to be able to look at their site (on grandchild's computer) and chuckle contentedly.

Just make one up. Get the date using PHP and divide it by a certain number, that way it's always going up over time ;)

Thanks Yakim!
In the end I used a really plain one from webcounter.com which seems ok. Php etc are still a bit beyond me at the moment – I'm a print designer who is migrating into web design because there is less and less print work around at the moment. Thank heavens for this forum and all you helpful guys who so patiently answer my idiot questions. Being freelance I can only dive into a book (Dreamweaver for Dummies!) or post a thread on here when I get stuck. :)

there are a few simple counter scripts out their, try searching for Counterclick (or something similar cant remember exactly) its a very basic counter that i used to use when i first started. just one php file (your page will of cause need to be php to run it)

Just set up Google Analytics, then they can see the page views without the site looking like a retarded squirrel...

Back