Camera required HELP!

berry

I know and don't have any interest or knowledge about cameras etc ......
Xmas is coming and my 16 year old money drain of a son wants a digi camera that can have interchangable lenses etc. He already has Fuji fixed digi with all the movable 'thing-bobs" He's talking Nikon - I'm thinking bankruptcy!
he's doing Photography at 6th form etc and is quite good. Any advice on what camera?

i got canon 1000d for £400.

comes with an 18-55mm lense with it and is pretty awesome for starting out.

can change lenses (for example 55-300mm or whatever i got for £210) down the line if needed

I got a Nikon D60 and it's cool but it doesn't look like it's available any more. I considered the Canon 1000d probs would've got that if i didn't see the Nikon and really love it. Canon 1000d is number one best buy on which.co.uk

What sort of money do you want to spend Berry, does he need any extra kit to go with it, does he have any kit already.

Personally though (budget allowing) and I'm a nikon user, I would look at a nikon d90, its basically the top consumer (aka prosumer) model and has things like a vertical grip (used for portrait shots) available if needed (around £150).

The reason I've suggested the d90 is purely due to the fact that it will save you money in the long run :) It can use older lenses which don't have the motor's in them like newer ones, you can pick up second hand and often get a better lens (smaller aperture - this is a good thing) for a similar price to a new lens but with lesser features. All of the cheaper models of camera (d70/d80 is an older version of d90) require the motor to be in the lens which means you're restricted to newer lens unless you are prepared to go fully manual.

There are several ways you can get a d90, one is body only (great if you already have nikon kit) for £500+ (depends on store - jessops is £650!), one is a single 18-105mm vr lens kit for around £750 (jessops is £800), there are also some kits with a memory card (sd card) and bag with varying cost etc.

If the budget is a little too high (we all know you like to keep you cash in the wallet Berry :p) I would suggest maybe this type of d5000 kit from jessops (or cheaper if you can find it online), although bear in mind this does have the lens restriction mentioned earlier. A Tamron lens is usually very good quality as is sigma so don't discount those brands.

If you go into a store to buy, haggle the price or stuff for free as jessops are pricey, also try your local small store as they will offer good advice :)

as above i agree about the lens problems with being restricted to motorised lenses as you end up having lenses that are twice the price of the body but with less functions than a decent body.

If you go for the D3000 or D5000 don't miss the Christmas cashback offer of £30 and £50 respectively Nikon Cashback Offers.

I have been looking around for an upgrade to my present D80 (which has been outstanding). This is the cheapest (inc vat) Nikon D90 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105 MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR LENS review cheap prices D90 + AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105 MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR LENS Nikon best buy discount online uk shop that I have seen, up to now, for the D90.

One thing to consider before buying is that the D90 can take 24fps HD video.

Hope this helps

You can get 6% back via quidco (minus initial £5 charge if not a member) for pixmania too so it makes it even cheaper :)

I've only just started using it and assuming my o2 thing goes through I'll get 100 quid back just on that :) Just wish they covered amazon :(

My son wanted the Nikkon D90 - but fat chance at that price!

Opted to buy the Nikkon D500 kit at £525 - £50 Nikon cashback.

Typo said:
That's great Berry you even get an extra K in with the price!

Nikon....

No.... I'm right..... the bloke on Northumberland Street showed me his boxes of Nikkons.
It's a Buy One Get One Free Deal as well, at £200 a pop I've bought 3. Really nice bloke.

for £8500 I expect it to come with Cheryll Cole and Danni Minogue and a 3 hour girl on girl photoshoot to test the camera

Back