Calling all graphic designers for Bespoke competition

peterlin

Calling all Graphic Designers!

Bespoke sponsored by Tiger Beer:, is the first venture of its kind; to draw together professional and aspiring designers, as well as members of the public, in order to promote the growth and development of the design industry.

Bespoke: has one main focus: creating opportunities for designers to push their creativity, by revolutionising the way people think about and approach design.

As product of 2xanadu, Bespoke: has been refined and cultivated, in collaboration with McFaul Studio and LUMA Sport, providing a platform for designers to experiment with, and functioning as a foothold on the ladder of creative development.

How often are you given the chance to work on a brief where, the only limitations you have are the canvas you use? And how often is that canvas a flat surface?

With Bespoke:, we hope to resolve these issues, and procure the means for designers to toy with their concepts by offering interesting, unusual and sometimes ridiculous mediums on to which to translate their ideas.

Using the combined efforts of several passionate and well-established designers, Bespoke: is the conceptual tool forged in an effort to destroy the weights of conventional thinking and break the chains of commercial conformation.

For more info and to sign up please visit the following link:

2xanadu presents Bespoke: the revolution is here!

Good luck!

Peter Lin
Creative Director
2xanadu.com

I have no problem with advertising competitions on a forum, but it does bug me when it comes across as copy and paste from someone who has otherwise made no contributions to the forum. I don't think you have a right to advertise such things if you haven't first made the effort to use the forum on which you're posting the advert.

Swing and miss!

How often do I get to design things where the only limitation is the canvas I work on?

Well pretty much every job I do! And get this! I get paid for doing that! Rather than maybe if I'm lucky.

Gtfo

iMac Dictionary Widget says:

bespoke |biˈspōk|
past of bespeak .
adjective [ attrib. ] chiefly Brit.
(of goods, esp. clothing) made to order : a bespoke suit.
• (of a trader) making such goods : bespoke tailors.
bespeak |biˈspēk|
verb ( past -spoke ; past part. -spoken ) [ trans. ]
1 (of an appearance or action) suggest; be evidence of : the attractive tree-lined road bespoke money.
2 order or reserve (something) in advance : obtaining the affidavits that it has been necessary to bespeak.
3 archaic speak to : and in disgrace bespoke him thus.
ORIGIN Old English bisprecan [speak up, speak out] (see be- , speak ), later [discuss, decide on,] hence [arrange, order] ( sense 2, late 16th cent.).

Yeah... I'm still lost but basically it sounds like "Give me stuff for free and I might pay you later...maybe"

Hi, everyone,

There seems to have been some misunderstanding about the aims and objectives of Bespoke:. We had hoped to pique your interest in the show and its efforts, however, it seems our intent has been misconstrued. So I apologise, if this came across as a lame attempt to promote a show. Allow us to address these issues and clarify.

The short version: Bespoke:, in a nutshell, is a community project.

The long version: Bespoke is a concept, that was thought up by a group of designers - McFaul Studio, LUMA and 2xanadu - for the community of designers around the world.

The idea is to provide a platform that serves several different purposes, the first being the opportunity to freely create a design without any limitations of a normal brief. i.e there is no client, audience, image, colour scheme etc. You just do whatever you please. The only limitation is the surface your work ends up on. In this case a fixed gear bike frame, whose curved and, somewhat, limited surface area, should provide some a fairly challenging task, and result in some interesting 'design solutions'.

Then there is the event; a non-profit venture that's to be held in October, in Brick Lane, which is considered by many to be the 'creative hub' of London, if not the UK. For the event we have invited some of the world's leading designers to participate in having their work transferred onto 20, of 30, bike frames in the show and exhibited for everyone to see. The remaining 10 bikes are for the winning competition entrants, which will be placed in the show alongside the bikes designed by industry professionals.

The show, of course, will have a private view which will be attended by many designers and studios (not all necessarily graphic design orientated), which would be the perfect opportunity for members of the design community to attend and liaise with their peers and the people that some might consider 'pioneers'.

Which leads us onto our next purpose, probably the most important one - exposure. The exhibition is set to be featured in several design magazines, such as Computer Arts, Digital Arts and IdN, as well as on their blogs, twitter feeds and websites.
Furthermore, it is a worldwide event, not exclusive to the UK, so the proposed audience is huge.

The exhibition will be open to the general public for two days following the private view, so it will still be generating interest in the work.

Lastly, while the concept remains largely the same in each subsequent event, the ‘canvases’ will change. So next year, for example, we might arrange a few buses, or taxis, or the different rooms in a building.

I hope that clarifies your queries, but just in case, I decided to approach each of the previous messages

"I have no problem with advertising competitions on a forum, but it does bug me when it comes across as copy and paste from someone who has otherwise made no contributions to the forum. I don't think you have a right to advertise such things if you haven't first made the effort to use the forum on which you're posting the advert."
Hi Anagoge,

I see your point, and that's understandable. However, this project was created by a portion of the design community for the rest of the design community, and since DF (which we only came across recently) is a portal for the same community to speak to each other, we thought it would be the perfect place to let you all know about Bespoke:. In other words, try to think of this as the first of our contributions to the forum.

"Yeah... I'm still lost but basically it sounds like "Give me stuff for free and I might pay you later...maybe"
Hi, Jimlad,

That sounds a lot like what my first few clients would say! Bespoke: is a non-profit venture, and has actually been made possible through self-funding and contributions from our sponsors.

"Swing and miss!
How often do I get to design things where the only limitation is the canvas I work on?
Well pretty much every job I do! And get this! I get paid for doing that! Rather than maybe if I'm lucky."
Hi mrp2049,

It's not really about luck; more so it is about the use of creativity, and the quality of the designs, which will be judged by industry professionals.
That’s great to hear that you feel that way about your work. I agree that the only real limitation is imagination, and limitations often help push your sense of creativity further. I’m assuming that’s what you meant, at least.
In spite of this, every now and again it’s nice to work on something that you truly believe in, rather than produce a piece of work that’s been governed by a brief set out by a client/employer. Also, from past experience, I, personally, have found myself relegated to working on projects whereby the final outcome is presented in a largely two-dimensional format. In essence we’re providing designers with the opportunity to freely do what they please with their creativity, and then actually arrange for those ideas to be produced, on a more three-dimensional and irregular surface. There are no strings attached, and it is not a commercial venture. It merely is what is for the sake of giving designers the chance to have a bit of fun.

To All,

I hope that has cleared up any confusion. If you have any further questions feel free to contact us at [email protected].

Many thanks,

Peter

So it's a competition where entrants are given the opportunity to produce a design for a bike frame.

Why can't you just say that? because it sounds crap? Right...

With that description and personal responses it all sound a bit better.
However

If I wanted to work on something with no limitations, why would I not just do that.

Granted this has the advantage of a slim chance of a huge opportunity to get you noticed, but why not just put the effort into personal promotion the proper way, not down to luck?

While you might not think it to be luck, to create a piece of work that is generally excepted as the best in a competition is definitely down to luck, Especially without a brief. As the judges need to like what you do, and if they do not, it doesn't matter if it is 100x better as it will not get picked. Hence limitations make judging better too.

Oh and isn't it limiting to what kind of designer you are when you choose the canvas :(

I think Renniks touched on something at the end there.

While you might not think it to be luck, to create a piece of work that is generally excepted as the best in a competition is definitely down to luck, Especially without a brief. As the judges need to like what you do, and if they do not, it doesn't matter if it is 100x better as it will not get picked. Hence limitations make judging better too.

Design is about purpose. Without purpose a design is just there to look pretty, which is art. Designers don't do art, or at least if they do create art, they don't call it design.

I think what they are aiming for is for you to make your own brief with their minimal input (being the canvas in this case) that way you choosing to design something for a purpose. But then there is a client, it is you, it is the judge, it is the public, there just isn't a set brief. To me that sounds like hell ;)

Well I can't see how you would judge a group of designs with no real common purpose or goal other than 'Oh, it's on a bike frame'.

seems a bit of a lost post to me... and i'm wondering if its spammy :confused:

Fair play you came back, thats a surprise and says its not total spam.

I think a clearer introduction wouldn't have hurt, to be honest it sounds interesting, but I am generally not one for competitions as I don't like the idea of work going to waste and in this case, I think the fact that it is such a unique format it will.

I am also a little dubious as to the prize, yes exposure, and it is a necessary evil in this game, but what else is there? If I design the graphics for a bike, I would hope I got it at the end! This isn't clearly stated anywhere.

There are a few bike nuts on this forum, Harry and myself included, it is an interesting sounding project, which I will keep an eye on this time.

Right, I'm going to do some work!

Back