Calculating a Retainer proposal amount

GraphicD123

Hi all

I have been slowly building my biz now for a while and ive now been asked to give a price for an annual retainer.

I dont want to give too much on away but essentially for the year there are 10 individual projects to be branded. Each of the ten include:

A logo and a 12 page brochure
Advertising and signage (a few different designs for each)

A photographer will provide images and all the text provided copywritten already. I will probably buy in nice fonts for each project.

Any suggestions on how you approach these thing?

Thanks

Retainers need to work to everyone's advantage, the plus for you being payment upfront, for which they're entitled to expect a discount on your rate in return. I wouldn't personally agree to complete a given number of projects for a set fee as you never know exactly how things will unfold so I'd negotiated to sell a block of hours which I estimated as sufficient to cover the likely work/lifespan of the deal and start the bidding at 5 per cent of my standard rate (with an extra 5 in my pocket if negotiations go that way): when the hours are used up, renew the arrangement, renegotiate or revert to your hourly rate. Any costs (e.g. fonts) would be offset against available hours.

Back