Buying already owned domains

Kevin

The domain I have in mind is not being used; the browser can't find it. But it is registered to someone.

So I'm a little clueless right now as to what I should do. Should I just e-mail the owner (I have his/her email address) or are there third party websites that take care of stuff like this?

I'd contact them as it's possible that they use the domain for their email etc but not for a website.

Many, many domains are registered and don't have sites/landing pages/even nameservers listed, I would contact directly if you have the e-mail as using another service like a broker or Sedo will add further costs to a potential purchase.

Sorry about the forum Greg, I figured it belonged in the business section (but taking a closer look when the topic got moved I saw that the description included domain names).

Anyway, I sent her an e-mail four days ago and still no answer. How long should I wait before sending her a polite 'reminder' without coming off as pushy? I'm not in a rush to get the domain and it's unlikely anyone else is gonna get it since it's already registered.

I was thinking that if I sent the second e-mail later, it might reinforce my business position and allow me to haggle the price a bit when we're about to reach an agreement.

Hi Kevin,

No problems, is the registrant based in the UK?
& how long before it expires? have you checked Archive/WayBack Machine to see if it's ever had a site on it?

Greg

No, she's based in the US.
The domain was renewed in July but it was registered with GoDaddy so it's not unlikely that it automatically renews every year. I did try the Wayback machine but 'the URL could not be found'.

Also, if you might be thinking the domain is registered by GoDaddy itself, it's unlikely since they always put an advertisement on their registered domains, and the email of the registrant is most definitely a personal one (MobileMe email).

Back