Buying a logo privately

Shadow-kitten

I have a friend who wants to be a graphic designer and he has given me a logo for a private project before. I did not get copyright transferred as it wasn’t commercial and it wouldn’t be the end of the world if he used it elsewhere.

I would now like to acquire copyright for this and purchase another logo from him.

It’s this as simple as a paypal payment and writing a quick agreement saying that ‘all copyright is transferred to x party?’

This will be used for a not-for-profit company but I haven’t looked into how to trademark it, or even if it needs doing for our use-case.

I have a friend who wants to be a graphic designer

That sounds a bit worrying but that's another conversation. ;)

The agreement is really as simple or detailed as you and they want to make it. For me, most of the time it's just a matter of an email agreement,
like you say. There aren't many jobs I can use again on other projects anyway. Some clients like to have an official document that they get me to sign, which
is fine, and I believe it's quite easy to write something up like that. Trademarking is another matter and you might want to look into that.

To be honest he has designed stuff for me before and I have been happy with it.

My main concern is that it would be a personal sale, and to my knowledge he doesn’t have a business. When I was a kid I did web design and all I had to do was declare it as earnings at the end of the financial year.

I will look into trademarking. To be honest we are an internal project and I am not even sure the project name is technically trademarked (I could be wrong).

We aren’t using it to advertise - just to make webpages relating to it look a bit nicer.

It might be that as I designed some of the software I could buy it as technically everything I produce belongs to said company? Seems like a more dangerous route though.

Back