business name

bigdave

As of the start of September I'm going into partnership with my other half and so for the past 3 or 4 weeks we've been trying to think of a company name. Four Colours Pixel works for me but not for the type of work my my other half does, so sticking with that wouldn't be an option.

We've thought of a few possibilities and have landed on 'Mac n Cheese'. I quite liked it but the accountant rolled his eyes when we mentioned it. He (and everyone over the age of 45 I've spoken to) say Mac n Cheese isn't a professional business name and we should come up with something that better describes what we do, like 'York Graphics and Web'. This response has put a bit of a downer on it for me and I'm not sure if it's truly crap or if it's just a generation thing?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Mac n Cheese does seem a tad unprofessional. Yet it's fun and innovative and sets you apart from the usual "York Graphics and Web" companies out there.

I'd suggest using a descriptor though, until you're well known. Something like

Mac n Chesse
Digital Design Services

I'm afraid I'm the same (yes, I'm over 45 too!), it's a bit 'cheesy' and sounds like a trendy cafe or something. I'd at least presume one of you was called Mac.

Is York Creative taken? A bit boring, but it says what you do. Otherwise, go for something that that is unique to you both - a favourite place, animal, pet, or something?

I'm under 45 and I don't like Mac n Cheese for a design business. 1/ Because I automatically think of a fast food restaurant and 2/ I generally don't like Mac n Cheese (the food).

Saying that, I think you are on the right lines in terms of your thinking of a more creative, fun, and basically not a boring digital design business name like 'York Graphics and Web.'

Maybe think of something in-between the two extremes of 'Mac n Cheese' & 'York Graphics and Web' so something unique for your business but still professional sounding.

Thanks for the input guys.

My other half's surname is Cromack (nickname at school was Mac) and our son often says my jokes are cheesy (hence mac n cheese).

We've been having another think and have come up with Demagraphix. (dave, emma, graphics, sounds locally focused).

I'm not mad about it, it's not fun or edgy. Sounds like you may make charts about demographics.

How about EDAM Graphics then you have a type of cheese, you have E and M and D and A from your names.

Re: Mac 'n' Cheese - I'm not massively averse to this but it depends who you're targeting as clients: if it's people like your accountant, then expect more eye-rolling... Demagrafix is a nice enough play on words but - aside from the fact that it makes you sound like pollsters - I strongly dislike the X at the end (looks like a half-arsed stab at edginess). EDAM's okay, but what about extending the idea to 'Made Backwards'? I dunno... might be getting a bit convoluted there...

You know that's not a bad idea, didn't even occur to me that EDAM and MADE - interesting.

Not a bad concept there.

That's pretty flipping good!...

url is taken though, so would need to think of a variation (I really liked the idea of ma.de, made.it and made.us etc..)

We've been having another think and have come up with Demagraphix. (dave, emma, graphics, sounds locally focused).

Too difficult to spell, think of a user trying to type that URL.

For me and from a business point of view I would always go with a 'does what it says on the tin' name, although I suspect most URL's will have gone now.

emma + dave

emme, emve, edave, emave, emmve, emdave, emmave, emmdave

dave + emma

dama, dava, dmma, damma, davma, demma, davema, davmma

I think you need to think about the services and qualities that you both bring - write down all that you both you do. Pros and cons. Etc.

Once you have a clear idea what your company is going to do - then a name will come.

Combining nicknames and names and jamming together isn't really a good idea.

Although Cromack is a cool surname, and have Cromack Digital Design or something is catchy.

Just a thought

York is also pretty cool name. York York York - saying it over and over again is soothing somehow.

Dave
York
Cromack
Emma

You DYCE is pretty nice.

It's edgy because I used a Y instead of an I.

Or if you wanted to go with nickname

Dave
York
Mac
Emma

DYME

Artel Creative?

This is made up from our kids names (Arthur & Eliza)

Last edited:
Ammevad? Emma and Dave backwards... (excuse my poor effort)

Artel Creative?

This is made up from our kids names (Arthur & Eliza)

I quite like that one. Although it sounds a bit like a new Windows Processor. Or a call centre.

It's actually Russian

And I can't make this shit up

ar·tel
ärˈtel/
nounhistorical
noun: artel; plural noun: artels; plural noun: arteli

(in prerevolutionary Russia) a cooperative association of craftsmen living and working together.

Which is exactly what this is ha ha lmao.

Word Origin
from Russian artel', from Italian artieri artisans, from arte work, from Latin ars art 1

Back