Business Inspiration

red tiger

How have people faired with being inspired to do better business?

A couple of my 'idols' for this are Branson and Bannatyne - they really go into depth in their autobiographies and I couldn't recommend their books more.

Here's my collection of Business inspiration... (I'd recommend any of the following!)

'How To Get Rich' by Felix Dennis
'Anyone Can Do It' by Duncan Bannatyne
'I Can Make You Rich' by Paul McKenna
'Losing My Virginity' Richard Branson Autobiography
'Lateral Thinking' by Edward de Bono
'Four Hour Work Week' by Tim Ferriss
'Why Entrepreneurs Should Eat Bananas' by Simon Tupman

Some great reads in those, especially the last two!
Greg

Will have to have a look through those - I'm reading Felix Dennis's at the moment, very raw and blunt - love it!

Its about as blunt as they get! Been a while since I read that one might have to re-visit it, it doesn't seem to have worked just yet :D

From that list I would say that 'Why Entrepreneurs Should Eat Bananas' by Simon Tupman is brilliant for inspiration, if you're after some creative ideas and ways to approach a market from a different angle it's really good!

I must admit I don't really go for the self help book thing like ones by Paul McKenna or 'Lateral Thinking' by Edward de Bono because I think they're very subjective to you as a person and the way that your mind set works. Plus I think these books are less about 'inspiration' and more about 'change this aspect of your thinking/life and do this, this and this and you'll be sucessful'

I much prefer to read a biography (especially the two Red suggested) to find out how other people made there way through running businesses and being entreprenuers.

I also like to talk to people. I know a few sucessful business people and theres nothing like haveing a conversation with them to get the inside track.

mrleesimpson said:
I must admit I don't really go for the self help book thing like ones by Paul McKenna or 'Lateral Thinking' by Edward de Bono because I think they're very subjective to you as a person and the way that your mind set works. Plus I think these books are less about 'inspiration' and more about 'change this aspect of your thinking/life and do this, this and this and you'll be sucessful'

The McKenna book is more about the way you think, not so much about making changes in lifestyle just opening your mind upto believing in your own ability, I found it very inspiring myself even just putting yourself in a different mindset opens up your own thinking and can inspire. Lateral thinking is brilliant for thinking around problems and approaching questions from a completely new angle, for me it's great at the start of a design brief to help you question how to best get as wider selection of answers to a problem, however off the wall they might seem at first. Will have to dog out a few examples from the book and post them up, see what you guys think.

I think self-help books are good and can make a huge impact to most people, but it's important not to buy into them too much, they won't save your marriage or make you a millionaire overnight, but they do have the potential to give you a giant kick up the arse when its needed.

Sometimes it's just about letting yourself be inspired and engaged by a self-help book. My book will be called 'Big Kick, Little Arse, Big Money." I've just decided.

red tiger said:
I think self-help books are good and can make a huge impact to most people, but it's important not to buy into them too much, they won't save your marriage or make you a millionaire overnight, but they do have the potential to give you a giant kick up the arse when its needed.

Yep they do quite often over promise! But I guess that's whats needed to get people to buy them in the first place.

So what other sources do you guys refer to for business inspiration? This is going to sound like a strange one, but I used to find Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares inspiring to watch from a business perspective, just to watch his passion and determination for turning a failing business around... (just me then? lol).

Nope, I loved that program, along with the Badger one and the Hotel Manager one. God I'm rubbish with programme names! :D

Does anyone draw from Podcasts too?

Badger - Apprentice?
Hotel Manager - No idea?

Used to listen to the Freelance Switch podcast occasionally but haven't done for ages...

Back