Business cards request

clord

Hi,

I am aware that a few members here own printing businesses. So, I was wondering if anyone offers the service of 'multiple layered' business cards. Basically, three layers of card, all different colours?

If you do, either reply to this thread, or contact me via email on clord(AT)ucreative.ac.uk

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Just edited your post to take out the e-mail address link, simply because live e-mail links in forums tend to attract spam bots, and nobody likes spam!

Thanks,
Greg

Sorry if I wasn't specific enough!

3 different coloured cards glued together. Imagine a Basset sweet! The top layer will have one side printed on and one side glued to the middle card. This is the same with the bottom layer too. The middle card will be glued inbetween the two 'outer' layers.

Hope this clarifies things.

Chris.

Only the top and bottom layers are printed. The middle layer is blank. But all three layers are glued together so that looking side on, the card just like a normal business card, but fatter and stripy.

Do I get a Bassett sweet for working it out? That's what Chris said wasn't it? :)

so.. 3 bits of card glied on top of each other to give a thickness... If I've got you right then..........
It will have to be a digital job, the glueing is the costly bit.
It's not job for the standard printers on here could manage- I think?
If you want depth and thickness then most business cards are 350 - 400 gsm board thickness.Not many paper merchants do anything over that.
You'll need a GF Smith papers stock called "Colourplan' that goes up to 700gsm in 52 colours. Only problem would be finding a printer who could handle that grammage as well as the finishing.
I would suggest you contact Team Digital in Leeds who could possibly doa bespoke job like this.Speak to Tony Charlton.

Yes Aaron, you have it right!Ssorry, no sweet though :)

Whether or not anyone has a machine that can handle roughly 900gsm is a concern. Also yes, the gluing will increase the price! I'm not sure how much by.

I was thinking about making the cards myself, using a spray adhesive (a permanent one, not spraymount). It would be fairly 'fiddly' with alignment, but doable. The only problem is the quality of finish and matt lamination.

Does anybody know if a 'diy' matt lamination kit is available?

Thanks Berry, I will email them.

*edit* the main focus isn't on the direct thickness of the card. That is something that is inherent with the design. The three different layers will be different coloured crd stock. Unfortunately you can't load jpegs on here, otherwise I could show an example...

Doing it yourself will take serious amounts of effort and precision, whilst limiting you to say 250 business cards max? Pretty cool, but seriously limiting.

It would be time consuming. The hard thing is lining it up. I have a machine that can cut through very thick card and paper. It's mainly the finish I wouldn't get if I made them myself.

If you could churn them out it would be pretty cool having a hand-made business card. I'd rather have unique business cards than all the same, as long as they still look nice :)

If someone gave me a well-made hand-made BC I would probably keep hold of it.

The only difference between me doing it, and a company, apart from the price, is the laminated finish!

Does anyone know the process they use for laminating business cards? (matt laminate)

If it is done post print- I wonder if I could get them laminated at a place after I have printed them personally?!?! hmmmm...

If your going to glue them yourself. (and excuse me from stating the obvious) but why not have the top and bottom layers printed proffesionally on say 300gsm card and glue these two plus one other piece of card together yourself? Hence giving you a proffesional finish that was hand glued?

Xenonsoft said:
If someone gave me a well-made hand-made BC I would probably keep hold of it.

If someone gave me a hand made business card I'd throw it in the bin with all the other
student DIY stuff.

I thought about that Phil, but it will be hard to align with little room for error. For example, if it is miss aligned, trimming it down would make the card smaller.

Also, I am not sure whether the laminate will effect the glue?!

And Berry, I guess that is subjective to the way/ style you work! I guess they don't know their market if they are sending you that style of business card?!

*edit* also Berry. Do you have a web address for that company you suggested? I can't find one, and if they don't have one, there is a potential client ;)

clord said:
And Berry, I guess that is subjective to the way/ style you work! I guess they don't know their market if they are sending you that style of business card?!

*edit* also Berry. Do you have a web address for that company you suggested? I can't find one, and if they don't have one, there is a potential client ;)

TEAM Team Impression - litho and digital

My only concern about 'hand made cards' is that they look like mock ups and cheap substitutes and are generally poorly done. I love bespoke ideas that are properly produced to a good quality. Sometimes young designers and students have good ideas and poor very execution, or let an style dictate the communication, and end up producing a piece of art and not a piece of communication. Never extend yourself too far expecially if first impressions count.

It's easy to remember one thing bad, than nine things good. - BB Book of Life

Back