Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

broadband speed

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Renniks, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

What speed are you currenlty running at?

Connected to 20Mb/s virgin fiber at the moment.
    Was tempted to upgrade to 50 but decided until I upload more I'm ok

http://www.speedtest.net/result/508560932.png
    is what my speed test results are, and i've uploaded at a lot higher than that before.

2. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

20Mb/s is massive. i can only get 8Mb/s
    BT wouldn't even guarantee you the full 8Mb/s

3. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Indeed it is, but 50 is massiveR.

4. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

5. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

try the manchester location, im not sure on those servers

6. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

7. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

ouch, maybe try later tonight (2-3 in the morning) if they aren't delivering find out why. I realise it says up-to-8mb but 1/4 of it just isnt good enough.

Yes, Uk isn't great for speeds

8. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

speedtest.net is rubbish as a tester, actually just about every test is. According to the test I'm getting a 4meg connection, I'm on 8 and get a consistent 650KB/s download (limited due to exchange :() when a server can saturate it (the main issue for me) and 80KB/s upload. The fact that I had to restart the app really isn't good, flash just isn't designed to test your download speed

As much as I would like faster, the likelihood of me getting anyone other than bt coming to my exchange is about as much as me winning the lottery which I don't play!

The best benchmark is to get an os based measurement tool (I've got one on vistas sidebar) and then set a few high bandwidth downloads going (apple is pretty good here) and then physically watch the speed you are getting.

9. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

[​IMG]

That's right, 1mb upload :D

10. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

[​IMG]

I'm at the office right now... will try again at home.

11. mine at home is utterly awful from Virgin.. I am almost 100% sure that it is throttled ... At work its pretty much the same as Kevin's results... how much does it cost for your connection Fred? :D

12. Xenonsoft

Xenonsoft Active Member

Tenner a month. Recently changed, was £15 for a slower speed and a limit on usage, this is up to 20mb (they say ill reach up to 16mb), costs a tenner a month as I'm with o2 (£15/mo otherwise) and unlimited usage.

Worth noting it costs double I believe if O2 haven't put their stuff into your exchange, and you probably wont get top speeds anyway. Luckily they've put their kit into our one.

13. Greg

Greg Active Member

TalkTalk isn't looking so good right now!! :cry:

[​IMG]

14. h_freezy

h_freezy Senior Member

thats way too slow to be true. i don't believe the stats!

15. Greg

Greg Active Member

Yeah I'm sure that's got to be wrong!
    It doesn't seem that slow :confused: