British graphic designers working in the US/AUS/etc? How does it all work?

otexex

I've been interested in looking at jobs abroad when I graduate. How difficult is that to do? Say for example, jobs in america or australia.. How are my chances as a graduated british graphic designer when it comes to working abroad? Is it impossible without any prior experience, what about junior positions in companies abroad? How do you know if they accept people from outside of the country? Thanks

It's very hard finding work in the US. The US are very protective of their jobs for US nationals. The only way of doing so is getting a Green Card but not sure how easy that is.

Working in Australia is much easier to do. But you need to apply for a work visa. You're only allowed 1 working visa for Australia in your lifetime so you need to make it count and I think it's only valid for 1 year too. I went there on my gap year and worked on a banana farm amongst other things. After the year you'd have to come back to the uK. You certainly wouldn't be able to emigrate on the basis as working as a designer, because they only allow specific people who have specific skills to move and live over there, and graphic design isn't one of them unfortunately!

Last edited:
Designer used to be on the skills list for Australia but isn't anymore. You can still get a visa if you meet a number of requirements (eg, young, educated, experienced, wealthy)... Think of it as trying to get a midweight/senior design job the day after you get your gcse results.... It can be done but you need sponsors and £20k.

personally i'd get a few years industry experience here, then see what you can do later down the line.... that's what i aim to do anyway!

Back