Bring down IE6

Ugh, how many times?! IE6 isn't that bad! Only people who dislike IE6 are those who can't code properly. And it's not MS that are clinging to it, it's organisations (such as banks and schools) that aren't updating/allowing it to be updated.

Not aimed at you by the way, Paul.

Noticed this in .net earlier today actually, wonder if this is more about .net's attempt at a viral campaign to promote the magazine? rather than them really being passionate about 'bringing down IE6'?

Possibly Greg, but I think it is about time people were educated about the benefits of updating IE or changing to an alternative browser. Surely there can be more pros than cons about convincing those to make a move who haven't already done so.

blueocto said:
Possibly Greg, but I think it is about time people were educated about the benefits of updating IE or changing to an alternative browser.

Oh yeah for sure Blueocto, I agree entirely, but I don't think the people who are still using IE6 are the audience that reads .Net magazine, or the people that are likely to find/get in contact with a 'viral' campaign like this? As Harry mentions above, I was under the impression the IE6 share was down to large corporates not wanting to spend the extra to upgrade software, or even hardware in some cases to upgrade from IE6.

It's not as easy as that though Caroline, the only people who want to educate others as to different browsers are web developers, how does a web developer (p)reach to millions of people who are completely oblivious to alternatives? It's getting the right platform that's the trouble.

Harry said:
Ugh, how many times?! IE6 isn't that bad! Only people who dislike IE6 are those who can't code properly.

I have to agree since I've become better at coding I get hardly any issues now and can generally sort any I do have pretty easy! - still hate it though!

@ Greg - Yeah that's the anoying thing, its the big places like government departments and such, but alternative browsers are free and probably more reliable.... I suppose its the fact they've gotta pay their IT contractors for the time of doing the change I guess :(

Meh... IE6 will stay around till Micro$ decided to get rid of it.. public pressure won't stop that.. otherwise they would never have release Window ME or things like that :lol:

Ugh, how many times?! IE6 isn't that bad! Only people who dislike IE6 are those who can't code properly. And it's not MS that are clinging to it, it's organisations (such as banks and schools) that aren't updating/allowing it to be updated.
Spot on I mean have ppl not heard of the IE6 conditional comment?

That said I did a site the other week and the only problems with IE6 I had where that on the home page 1 image dropped and the background on the AJAX script didn't show up, apart from that it looked, and worked fine, across the whole site TBH.

If I'm honest though I was truly amazed that that was all the problems though, but it didn't add more than 2 mins on to dev time so it's not that much of an issue if you code correctly and keep your bloat down IMO.

The most frustrating thing is checking internet explorer behaves when your working on a mac without an intel processor (and xp)... Browser shots have to suffice until I can check proberly on someone else's machine.

Feel your pain tbcwf. We inherited a job built in .net so had to invest in VMWare Fusion and Visual Studio, it's great for checking all IEs too but it's a memory hog (as you'd imagine).

On one of our sites 50% of users are still using IE 6! So have to keep them happy. That article also suggested that IE 6 will make a comeback due to older machines and windows 2000 being used around the world - Oh goody

I am franticly trying to get rid of IE6 on all of our machines at work, but unfortunately we have about 60 laptops, and double that in stationary pc's.
And windows update does not make it easier, I've had to almost manually install IE, on every machine to get it working right.

'Luckily' they just released IE8, so I am updating to that at the present.

Back