Breaking the industry

nice work... ( some typo's - capital L for London, capital I for i) but aside from that good stimulation and creativity. Keep being creative, the balls will drop....;)

In a similiar situation- I sent out 37 CVs/enquiry emails in the space of 2 months with no call back.

My solution: Register as self-employed and start freelancing full-time and it seems to be working!

yea but then finding the clients becomes a problem.

i do agree it would probably prove more fruitful.

i remember sending out 300 applications in one month. 1 reply to say they were not recruiting.

Dude, there will always be "problems" in life! Yes, even if you have a full-time job!

There is always a way to find clients (start small and build up from there).

It takes time and I am nowhere to where I want to be in terms of financial security but I am making my way there slowly but surely!

thanks for the positive feedback, im working freelance already, im just after a full-time job to make myself more secure. Hard work but i suppose its all worth it in the end.

Thing is with freelance work you can build a mighty portfolio of stuff which you have actually done for clients (as opposed to just classroom projects) and this will stand you in good stead when (and it will, eventually) the economy gets better and agencies start recruiting in earnest again.

As those annoying government adverts say: "the future, its in our hands"!

Look at it like this: Students are graduating with design degrees/diplomas and there is no work cos the economy is crap etc etc. Graduates are being thrown into the deep end from the beginning because of this and we have to learn fast or re-skill and become plumbers. Hence, if you take the correct approach to this experience, you will come out of it stronger in the end.

The upshot is (and I may be laughed out of town but here goes) that the creative graduates of today will be more savvy, more experienced and more resourceful having risen to the challenges that this recession throwing at us!

We may be "unemployed" at the moment but we may be more employable in the future if you approach things in the right way!

Just my 2c!

The current economic climate will see the brave and resourceful, make giant leaps.

Out of adversity comes opportunity.

If you have nothing to win, then you have nothing to lose. ( BB book of life)

Great work. Unfortunately the UK design job industry is a sad state of affairs, and always will be in my opinion. It is over saturated and highly competitive. Graduates get a raw deal when it comes to trying to break into the industry as employers seem to always put experience above qualifications. How are you ever meant to get your first job if nobody wants to take on a grad with no experience? And if you are lucky enough to be taken on by a company as junior, you get paid absolutely peanuts and have to spend years working your way up. It's ridiculous. My advice, having been in that position once, is to keep creative - whether it's freelance or personal projects, everything counts - always try and keep afresh of current design trends and where the design industry is going - persevere and you'll get there in the end!!

<rant>sorry to interject slightly here.. but if you have no experience and a qualification you would still get paid peanuts... because you have no experience, simple as that, i worked my way from a junior to where i am now, i didn't have a problem with it. I don't know what graduates of today are expecting when they enter the real world.
</rant>

...That was precisely my point. Regardless if you have a degree or you just start working at a company without one, you still get paid peanuts.

chrismitchell said:
<rant>I don't know what graduates of today are expecting when they enter the real world. </rant>

I know from the "vocational course" I was on, a lot of people were expecting to be able to walk out and pick up jobs in the real world, although if I'm honest I think part of the blame for that misconception lies with the course tutors selling the course with that idea.

I won't go on lol, worth a read of these threads if you haven't already seen them...
http://www.designforums.co.uk/runni...ancing/519-uk-design-education-epic-fail.html
http://www.designforums.co.uk/runni...sign-education-epic-fail-part-2-students.html

Greg

The_optimist said:
...That was precisely my point. Regardless if you have a degree or you just start working at a company without one, you still get paid peanuts.

My point was that graduates on Vocational and Degree courses expect to walk out of University and change the design world without actually having to do sh1tty jobs to begin with and actually learn something... I did a little bit of teaching at the Auckland Design School when i lived in New Zealand, I was the first lecturer to teach Print Design, NONE of the students knew anything about bleed or designing for print.. made me very worried about the future of design in that country.

Berry said:
The current economic climate will see the brave and resourceful, make giant leaps.

Out of adversity comes opportunity.

If you have nothing to win, then you have nothing to lose. ( BB book of life)
Very true, I would have thought employers could take good advantage of the down turn, they have so many applicants to choose from.

Back